Glasgow Hawks 19-29 Selkirk: Tactical change key in Selkirk success

Selkirk players celebrate last try (Pic Grant Kinghorn)Selkirk players celebrate last try (Pic Grant Kinghorn)
Selkirk players celebrate last try (Pic Grant Kinghorn)
Despite trailing at half-time in Saturday’s away Tennent’s Premiership fixture against Glasgow Hawks, Selkirk produced an excellent half to eventually prevail 29-19 and leapfrog Hawks in the table.

An early Ben Pickles try for the visitors was converted by Aaron McColm to give Selkirk a 7-0 advantage, before a Ryan Flett score at the other end reduced the home team’s deficit to two points.

And Hawks went 12-7 up at the interval thanks to an Istok Totic try converted by Andy McLean.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An early second-half Selkirk try by full-back Ryan Cottrell levelled matters, but a converted try by Glasgow fly-half Gavin Cruickshanks made it 19-12.

The Borders side proceeded to dominate the remainder, with tries by Josh Welsh, Ross Nixon and Pickles – the latter of which was converted by McColm – sealing the win and delighting head coach Scott Wight.

"We started by playing a wee bit more within ourselves in terms of our kicking game and we looked to put pressure on them,” Wight told Borders Rugby TV.

"But fair play to Glasgow Hawks, they cover the back field really well.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

"The challenge set to the guys at half-time was: ‘Let’s look to play two pass, three pass rugby’.

"And I thought our execution and tempo in the second-half really proved pivotal. In terms of we scored a huge amount of tries to win with a bonus point try and give Glasgow Hawks nothing which was huge for us."

Selkirk, fourth with 30 points from 10 games, host Jed-Forest this Friday night with Wight admitting the game is “huge”.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.