Kelso Ladies mount impresive comeback in second half

Since opening the sevens last year, the Kelso Ladies Rugby Team has continued to go from strength-to-strength.

Under the coaching of James Shannly and Ian Anderson, the team has improved in confidence and ability.

It was with this team that the National Development League saw play at home under the banner of Kelso Ladies Rugby Ladies and Gala Vixens against Ardrossan.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Kelso started off well demonstrating strong forwards in the scrum but Ardrossan certainly had some incredibly fast runners. Possession fell to Kelso for the first section of the match and a try soon went over the line with a wide pass out to Terri Harkin.

Ardrossan responded strongly, demonstrating amazing speed once through the defence and Rachel Skimming took Ardrossan’s first try for them. The resulting conversion kick, by Shelley Main was on target giving them another 2 points. With their tails up, the Accies were in full flow.

Kelso, determined not to be beaten, responded strongly in the scrums and lifted well in the line outs, but ultimately Ardrossan pulled through. Kelso chased down hard, but there was no stopping the Ardrossan for another try.

The reset saw Kelso quick off the mark, charging down the field to a well defending Ardrossan. Kelso managed to pass the ball out to Katie Mclaren who comfortably ran the ball home.

Half time left trailing Kelso 15 – 17 to Ardrossan.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But it was a different Kelso who came back on to the pitch after half time.

The first try of the second half went to Michele Halbert with an outstanding run. Kelso swiftly followed with a second try from a scrum on the Ardrossan line, with Sarah Murray driving the ball home.

Ardrossan piled the pressure on, breaking away with the ball several times.

Wise to the blistering speed of the Ardrossan wingers, Kelso made sure the defending line had no holes in and pushed forward with a try from Paula Paxton. Halliday sent the ball through for another conversion.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In quick succession, Donna Borthwick scored her third try of the game with a quick tap and go sprint followed by another conversion and then Gillian Ormiston carried the ball across the line swiftly after.

Kelso held strong, although tiring towards the end.

The team created space which saw Louise break away and run for the try line with Ardrossan close to chasing her down.

The last try of the match went to Katie Mclaren and Halliday completed the match with a conversion taking the full-time score to 58 – 17 to Kelso.

Related topics: