Vale keen to make better and safer start
Lowland League officials are also cautiously optimistic about the 2020-21 campaign starting in October.
The Scottish Premiership will begin on August 1, with the Scottish Championship, League One and League Two aiming for an October 17 start.
A definitive start date, however, has still to be established for next season’s Lowland League, which will feature Gala Fairydean Rovers and Berwick Rangers, alongside the Innerleithen club.
Lowland League chairman George Fraser said he was “looking at various scenarios” regarding a potential start date for the new league season to begin.
The league is continuing to examine how and when it will be able to comply with the Covid-19 public health guidance and adhere to the testing protocols.
Fraser added: “The protocols are quite onerous, quite lengthy, so there is a lot for us and our clubs to consider. But we are hoping they might be eased slightly.”
After confirmation of the Scottish Government’s movement to Phase 3 of the easing of lockdown rules, the Scottish FA has approved a plan to partially lift training restrictions.
Clubs can now start small group, socially distanced, outdoor training.
It’s hoped full contact training will begin later in August, followed by games behind closed doors.
Planning is under way for the league to start in October and it is hoped spectators will be allowed into grounds, albeit under limited capacity to ensure social distancing.
League representatives – including Vale of Leithen’s vice-chairman, John Anderson – have been working behind the scenes to prepare clubs for the restart.
Mr Anderson has been working on the Lowland League Restart Group and the Joint 4 Leagues Restart Group, covering the Lowland, East, South and West leagues.
He told the club website: “It is not just a case of the SFA and Scottish Government giving the green light to restart.
“A lot of work has been going to on to ensure training and matchday protocols will be in place to ensure the safety of all players, coaches and, hopefully, spectators.
“This will include additional measures being put in place at Victoria Park to ensure social distancing and hygiene compliance.
“We all want football to restart but we must ensure it is done in a manner that ensures everyone involved is safe.”
The club has also made a handful of new signings, while some players have joined up again and others have left.
Michael Robertson, Calum Oneil and Ryan Higgins have signed up for next season, having all been “committed members of last year’s squad”.
The club also hoped to announce further additions, following the acqusition of Jonny Grotlin, Martin Brogan and Donovan Ndiweni.
Paul Thomson, Liall Smith, and Liam Ireland have left the club.
Message from the editor
Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.
Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the highest standards in the world. The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.