Match report: Bo’ness United 1, Gala Fairydean Rovers 2

A wonder strike from Scott-Taylor Mackenzie five minutes from time gave Gala Fairydean Rovers all three points against Bo’ness United yesterday, December 19.

Sunday, 20th December 2020, 6:39 pm
Updated Sunday, 20th December 2020, 8:07 pm
Gala Fairydean Rovers players celebrating at full-time. Photo: Scott Louden

The former junior outfit were unbeaten at Newtown Park this season and have claimed a few notable scalps in their first campaign in the Scottish Lowland Football League.

And after Zander Miller headed home the opener shortly after the half-hour mark, they looked to be on course to keep that undefeated run going.

An equaliser from Marc Berry in the second half and Mackenzie firing home a 30-yard free kick in the 85th minute ended that successful streak, however.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nicky Locke on the ball for Bo'ness against Gala. Photo: Scott Louden

Mackenzie, 24, said: “I’ll admit it was a great hit.

“It was my first game back for a while and I was getting tired near the end. It was a great feeling to see it go in.

“I think we deserved it overall as we played some good stuff and had some good chances.

“They are a strong side, particularly at home, and not many teams will win here, so we have to be really pleased.

Gala Fairydean Rovers beating Bo'ness 2-1. Photo: Scott Louden

“We have now got a massive game coming up in the Scottish Cup against Annan next Saturday and this is a real confidence-booster.

“Obviously they are a League Two side and will be favourites, but we will give it our best shot and you never know.”

With a strong wind at their backs, the Galashiels side had plenty of chances in the first half but failed to convert any.

Skipper Danny Galbraith sent Berry clean through on 20 minutes but his effort was saved by goalkeeper Andy Murphy’s outstretched foot.

Scott-Taylor Mackenzie scores from a free-kick to put Gala 2-1 up. Photo: Scott Louden

Phil Addison saw his effort from a tight angle trundle agonisingly along the goal line with no one following up to apply the finishing touch.

Bo’ness also had their moments and were lively around the visitors’ box.

They broke the deadlock 30 minutes in when Miller headed home a pinpoint cross from close range.

Gala adapted well to the conditions after the break, enjoying long spells of possession, and they got their reward 20 minutes from time.

Another delightful ball from Galbraith split the home defence and Berry showed great composure to skip past the advancing keeper and slot the ball into an empty net.

Buoyed by that breakthrough, Gala pushed for a winner, and it arrived in the 85th minute.

Galbraith was brought down 30 yards out and up stepped Mackenzie to send a glorious curling left-foot free-kick into the top corner.

Manager Neil Hastings was full of praise for his players at the end, saying: “They showed great character and I felt they really deserved that.

“Bo’ness scored a good goal from their point of view but poor from our point of view.

“However, the heads never went down and they kept playing and eventually got their reward.

“We are in a good position in the league and can now look forward to the Scottish Cup next Saturday.”

Last weekend’s victory, following a draw three days earlier against East Stirlingshire, took the Borderers ahead of Bo’ness in the league. They’re now in sixth place, with 22 points after 12 games.