Football: Hawick Legion 5-3 Eyemouth Amateurs

There was a blaze of colour in this Waddell Cup second round clash, referee Jonathan Gall saw to this in brandishing four red cards as well as seven yellow.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 14th March 2016, 1:33 pm
Updated Monday, 14th March 2016, 1:38 pm
Action from the game
Action from the game

Besides this the busy official also sent a spectator packing from the touchline.

Yes it all happened in this lively encounter that also produced eight goals.

Hawick drew first blood by opening the scoring in the 12th minute. On being fed by a Scott Duncan pass, Jodie Easdon rifled a shot into the net.

Legion kept their foot on the gas and Liam Lavery and Michael Moir were both kept at bay by Eyemouth keeper Adam Stobbart.

With twenty minutes gone however, Eyemouth grabbed an equaliser when Graham Paterson headed home a Daniel Blackie corner kick.

Four minutes later Eyemouth did it all again. Latching onto the ball in midfield, Jeff Colin showed a great piece of opportunism in lobbing a shot over the head of Hawick number one Kevan Miller, who had wandered off his line.

Eyemouth’s purple patch continued in the 28th minute through another well taken strike. Connor Lough supplying the finishing touch on this occasion.

Shortly after this the games deportings began. A spectator who had walked onto the pitch to express his views towards the referee was first to be sent away from the scene.

Before the dust had settled, Mr Gall then showed Legion player/manager Mark Deans, who was a substitute, a straight red card for making remarks from the touchline.

A minute from the interval Hawick pulled a goal back when Eyemouth defender Daniel Crowe turned a Scott Duncan shot into his own net.

After Eyemouth’s Lough and James Wilson had both saw good efforts rebound off the bar during the early part of the second period, Hawick equalised in the 57th minute.

Davie Fraser found Callum Hope with a spot on cross and the latter who had just came on as a substitute waltzed round Stobbart to score.

Within minutes of this Eyemouth’s Paterson was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence.

Ten man Eyemouth then received a further jolt when Simon Philbin put Hawick ahead which was followed by a fifth strike from Hope.

In the closing stages, the red mist returned to the scene due to the sights of Lavery and Blackie being ordered off.

Seconds from time, Eyemouth rattled the wood work for a third time when a Lough shot cannoned off the upright.