Football: Eyemouth Amateurs 0-1 Hawick United


Monday, 15th February 2016, 1:28 pm
Updated Monday, 15th February 2016, 1:34 pm
Eyemouth Amateurs v Hawick United at Warner Park Border Amateur B League


A lone goal from Hawick United’s Ross Scott decided the outcome of this Border Amateur League B Division clash and earned the Teries full points.

One of only three BAL games to survive the weather last weekend saw the teams playing at Warner Park battle a bitterly cold north wind, rain, hailstones and a very heavy pitch.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Talking of his side’s triumph, goal ace Scott said: “We got off to a slow start but improved as the game went on and played well in bad conditions.

“We were strong in midfield, solid in defence and it was a good team performance.”

Eyemouth could well have been two up in the opening five minutes though as Jamie Logie first of all missed a sitter in hitting a Michael Gillen cut back wide with an empty goal in front of him. Immediately after this, Kevin Strachan blazed an effort narrowly over the bar after having pierced the Hawick defence with a thrusting run.

Eyemouth continued to have the bulk of the play but United gradually began to find their feet and Aaron Swailes came near to netting with a header on meeting a Kevin Strathdee corner kick.

After Eyemouth keeper Adam Stobbart had pulled off an excellent save from Colin Richardson, Hawick opened the scoring in the 33rd minute. Following a David Strathdee free kick which took the ball deep into the Eyemouth defensive zone, a quick passing move ended in Scott firing home.

For the remainder of the first half Hawick pushed for further strikes only to be thwarted by Stobbart who put up the shutters with top notch stops from Kevin Strathdee and Daniel Bolton in rapid succession.

Eyemouth were first to look like scoring in the second half when Logie had a shot kept out by Hawick number one Dean Fry before Daniel Crowe came to Eyemouth’s aid in racing in to clear a net bound Swailes chipped shot off the goal line.

With a resolute United defence giving nothing away, Eyemouth were finding their quest for an equaliser a more than difficult task.

In the latter stages, Hawick began to gain the edge and Kevin Strathdee rattled a shot against the upright before Charlie Mitchell squandered a chance in miss-hitting a Strathdee cross.