Duns 2-1 Kelso United

Goals either side of half time by Mark Weatherburn and Jordan Lauder secured the victory for Duns at a sunny New Hawthorn Park.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 20th April 2015, 5:08 pm
Jordan Lauder, right, was on target for Duns against his former club.
Jordan Lauder, right, was on target for Duns against his former club.

It was Weatherburn’s first goal of the season and his 100th appearance for the club.

The home side were first to have an assault on goal as Jordan Lauder tried his luck from 20 yards which was palmed over the bar by United keeper Elliott Turnbull. This was quickly followed by a Connor Devaney shot which sailed wide.

Lauder had a chance after 15 minutes as a corner on the left was floated in by Devaney the visitors defence only half cleared to Lauder but he skied his effort over the bar.

A good break by United’s Ben Herdman saw the youngster beat three opponents before firing wide from 20 yards. Midfielder Damien McNulty then picked up the ball on the right and drove forward before unleashing a right foot shot which went past the post.

Paul Tansey in the home goal saved well from Jack Logan who had broken forward and opposite number Turnbull had to make a great save to deny Lauder following good work down the left by Gary Waddell.

The Dingers made the breakthrough just before the interval, a cross from the left was headed out but only to the feet of Mark Weatherburn who swept the ball home from 10 yards.

United almost got an equaliser a minute from the break but Ewan Hutchison’s effort was brilliantly saved by Tansey.

Duns increased their lead five minutes into the second half. Weatherburn swept in a cross to the near post where Lauder got in front of the defence to side foot home.

Turnbull then had to make two good saves from firstly Steven Shennan and then from Lauder.

The Tweedsiders got a goal back midway through the half as Shane Bonnington drove down the right and crossed to the edge of the box where Johnny Waugh hit a right foot half volley into the top corner.

A slip in midfield by Darren Bowie saw Shennan take advantage and only a great save from Turnbull stopped the experienced front man from scoring. The United keeper again denied Shennan a minute later diving to his left to put the strikers shot round the post.

United tried to press for an equaliser and had the home defence pinned back for the last ten minutes but they could not turn this into a goal.