UPDATED: The Royal Hotel in Jedburgh won't reopen next week as planned after a blaze today, Tuesday, May 11

The owner of a Jedburgh hotel that was preparing to reopen next week says it will now remain closed longer after a fire there this morning, Tuesday, May 11.

Tuesday, 11th May 2021, 4:44 pm
Fire at the Royal Hotel, Jedburgh. (Photo: BILL MCBURNIE)

Fire crews from across the Borders attended The Royal Hotel at Canongate this morning, to tackle a blaze on the first floor.

Today hotel owner Alex Wallace dismissed rumours locally that there had been a gas explosion at the premises.

But he did confirm that as a result of smoke damage the premises will no longer be reopening as planned next Monday.

The Royal Hotel. (Photo: BILL McBURNIE)

He said: “There wasn’t a gas explosion. Basically the noise that people heard was when the window actually cracked. It looks like it may have been a small electrical fire but the fire brigade say they can’t pin-point exactly what the cause was, but it was nothing to do with gas, I can guarantee that.

"There was smoke damage in the plant room and unfortunately that is going to keep the hotel closed for longer. We were preparing to open up again on Monday after being closed since last September but that won’t happen now.

"There were people in the hotel at the time because we were sanitising the hotel down ready for reopening. I’ve only just spoken to the underwriters and I can’t say how much longer it will be closed.

"The problem is the smell of smoke throughout the hotel not where the actual fire was, that’s just cosmetic.

"It’s very disappointing but the main thing is that no-one was injured. That’s the most important thing.”

Fire crews from Hawick and Jedburgh remained on the scene into the early afternoon and the road - which was sealed off for a time - was reopened to traffic.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “We were alerted at 10.42am on Tuesday, May 11 to reports of a fire at a commercial property at Canongate in Jedburgh.“Operations Control mobilised three appliances and firefighters extinguished a fire on the first floor of the building.“Crews are still at scene and there are no reported casualties at this time.”