Search for Jedburgh man enters fourth day

Police efforts to find a 58-year-old man reported missing from Jedburgh have entered the fourth day.

Thursday, 11th February 2016, 11:20 am
Updated Thursday, 11th February 2016, 12:44 pm
SBSR Missing Man William Notley of Jedburgh

William Notley was last seen at around 10am on Monday, February 8, leaving an address in Bongate Gardens.

Since then he has not been in touch with friends or family and our concern for his welfare is growing.

William sometimes sleeps outdoors or in remote farm buildings and barns and has been known to travel on public transport around the Jedburgh area.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

An extensive search operation is underway in the vicinity of the town involving specialist teams including the police helicopter, dog units, mountain rescue and the Borders Water Rescue Team.

William is described as around 5ft 6ins tall, slim build, dark skinned, has receding short brown hair and an English accent.

At the time of him going missing William wore heavy black trainers, olive green trousers, olive green polo shirt, grey and black zip up cardigan, navy blue padded waistcoat and a navy blue hat.

Inspector Kevin Harris of Melrose police station said: “A major search operation is underway but it’s fair to say that our concern for William is growing by the hour. His family to are understandably extremely upset with what has happened and are urging William to make contact.

“Police officers assisted by members of the mountain rescue and the Borders Water Rescue Team are working tirelessly to trace him as quickly as possible. Despite our best efforts however, there is no trace of William and there is a possibility that he may have travelled farther afield.

“Today, I ask anyone who has seen William or recognises his description to please contact police immediately.

“I also appeal directly to William to contact police or a family members as soon as possible to let us know you are okay.”

Those with information can contact police on 101 or speak to any officer.