Peebles mum died after getting lost on way to ward

Amanda CoxAmanda Cox
Amanda Cox
A Peebles family have been left devastated as a new mum died after appearing to lose her way in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

It’s believed Amanda Cox suffered a massive haemorrage in a rarely-used stairwell, when she lost her way trying to get back to her ward after visiting her four-day-old son Murray, who was in the hospital’s special care baby unit.

Police and hospital staff launched a frantic search for the 34-year-old – who lived in Peebles with husband Michael – and appealed for public help after she was reported missing from the Royal Infirmary in Little France on Monday evening, wearing just a T-shirt, pyjama trousers and slippers.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The last confirmed sighting of Amanda was at 3pm on Monday. She was found seven hours later, alive but fighting for her life, after suffering a suspected massive haemorrhage. She died a short time later, despite attempts to save her life.

A source said: “Nurses on her ward might’ve thought she was with her baby and those on the specialist care unit might’ve thought she was on her ward – it’s a tragic set of events.”

A spokesman for Police Scotland said: “We can confirm that Amanda Cox was discovered collapsed within the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary around 10pm and passed away a short time later.

“The death is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious, and a report has been submitted to the procurator fiscal. Our thoughts and sympathies are with Amanda’s family and friends at this time.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A full post mortem examination will be carried out to determine the cause of death and a fatal accident inquiry may be ordered by the Crown Office.

A family friend said: “Amanda had been suffering headaches even before she had been in hospital for the birth and was due to see a specialist. Apparently she was going back to her room for medication, but took a wrong turning and came out of the neonatal ward into a disused ward.

“They think it was a brain haemorrhage, or a stroke or heart attack, but we will just have to wait on the post mortem.”

The source added:“After transferring from Borders General Hospital baby Murray seems to be doing okay although he was just 3lb 7 ounces when born.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Hospital bosses offered their condolences to Amanda’s family and said staff will be helping police with their investigations.

Jim Crombie, deputy chief executive, NHS Lothian, said: “My thoughts and sympathies are with the family of Amanda Cox at this sad time. A police investigation is ongoing and we are assisting with their inquiries.”

Related topics: