Police investigating Hawick hammer attack say progress being made following several lines of inquiry

Detectives investigating a hammer attack on a 24-year-old woman in Hawick this week say they are making progress in trying to identify the culprit.

Friday, 5th June 2020, 10:38 am
Hawick hammer attack victim Jessica Rafferty.

Several lines of inquiry are being checked out in a bid to bring to justice the man responsible for a seemingly motiveless attack on Jessica Rafferty off the town’s Stirches Road on Wednesday, June 3, they say.

An update has been issued further to the witness appeal put out yesterday saying: “With reference to our previous appeal for information after a 24 year-old woman was assaulted in Hawick at around 3.30pm on Wednesday, we are aware that the local community may be concerned regarding this incident.

“However, we would like to reassure you that this is being treated as an isolated incident and officers are currently following several lines of inquiry.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bruising to one of Jessica's arms.

“Anyone with information is asked to call Police Scotland via 101, quoting incident number 2,452 of June 3.

“Alternatively, call crimestoppers on 0800 555111 anonymously.”

Jessica, of Hawick, was targeted by a balaclava-clad assailant wielding a hammer while out walking her dogs and subjected to a merciless onslaught lasting about five minutes and leaving her with broken ribs, a cracked jaw and multiple bruises.

She needed treatment at the Borders General Hospital at Melrose after her ordeal but has since been discharged.

Jessica Rafferty was attacked in the lane between Stirches Road and Stintyknowe in Hawick.

Speaking to the Southern yesterday, she said: “The ordeal lasted five minutes, during which this man never said a single word.

“I said to him to take whatever he wanted, but he didn’t stop hitting me over and over. It was horrible, terrifying.

“He turned me over at one point and got right in my face.

“I emptied my pockets, but all that was in there was my phone and a dog poo bag, and he just kept kicking at my legs.

“When it ended, he just laughed.

“I’m okay and home from hospital now, but being attacked with a hammer in broad daylight is not what I expected.

“The hospital said I was lucky I’m just bruised and sore, with a few cracks, as the injuries I sustained could have been a whole lot worse.

“I will make a full recovery, but no one should not be able to go out during the day in case they get attacked with a hammer.

“Justice will happen, and we will catch this vile man who thought to do this to me.”

As well as a balaclava, her attacker is said to have been wearing a dark-coloured hooded top, grey jogging bottoms and black shoes.

See also ...