Former Borders SNP official accused of threatening witnesses at Alex Salmond's sexual assault trial

A former Scottish National Party official from the Borders has been accused of threatening behaviour towards female witnesses called during former Holyrood first minister Alex Salmond’s sexual assault trial earlier this year.

By Court Reporter
Tuesday, 4th August 2020, 8:44 am
Updated Tuesday, 4th August 2020, 8:47 am
Jedburgh Sheriff Court.
Jedburgh Sheriff Court.

Mark Hirst allegedly posted a video online during which he is said to have made threatening remarks about the complainers at the ex-SNP leader’s trial at the High Court in Edinburgh in March.

That offence is said to have been committed at his home near Jedburgh on March 29.

The 50-year-old – formerly employed by nationalist MSPs at Holyrood including Midlothian South, Tweeddale and Lauderdale representative Christine Grahame – pleaded not guilty through lawyer Michael Gallen to that charge.

A trial date was set for January 7 next year at Jedburgh Sheriff Court.

It is alleged that he behaved in a threatening or abusive manner by creating and uploading to the internet a video recording in which he uttered threatening remarks directed at witnesses for the prosecution at Mr Salmond’s trial.

The West Lothian-born 65-year-old, Scottish Government first minister from 2007 to 2014, was cleared of 13 charges of sexual assault against nine women following his trial in March.