Young Souters come good at Scremerston

Selkirk Youth Club v Hawick PSA: Lewis Martin is brought to a halt by the PSA defence.
Selkirk Youth Club v Hawick PSA: Lewis Martin is brought to a halt by the PSA defence.

Berwick Colts17

Selkirk Youth Club59

Playing at a blustery but dry Scremerston, Selkirk Youth Club got their Border Cup campaign off to a blistering start with a convincing win over Berwick Colts.

With their hosts having proved to be difficult opponents in the past, the young Souters were expecting a hard game and the opening half proved to be just that as Berwick refused to buckle under wave upon wave of Selkirk pressure.

Darren Knox kicked a penalty in the early stages and, following good play from both sides, some quick passing involving centre Jack Elliot and hooker Finlay Amos was finished off by prop Sam MacKay who barged over for the first try.

Berwick fought back and worked their way down into the Youth Club half where they caught their visitors napping. A quick tap penalty saw their winger touch down in the corner to narrow the gap.

Straight from the restart the Youth Club applied more pressure in the Berwick 22 and from a lineout second row Donald Nichol, in his first start for the side, found some space to drive over and score, Knox kicking over a difficult conversion.

Berwick, however, were proving difficult to break down and always posed a threat when in the visitors’ half. They scored again after cashing in on a Youth Club mistake to score in the corner.

With half-time approaching, the visitors increased their lead when centre Jack Elliot touched down, with Knox converting to make it 22-10 at the break.

That lead was increased almost straight after the restart when Bruce McKerracher sliced through the Berwick defence with a good angled run before offloading to MacKay who crossed for a second try.

Once again Berwick responded well and enjoyed a lengthy spell camped in the Youth Club half. After some intense pressure on good organised defending by the visitors they eventually found a gap to score between the posts and convert, closing the gap to just 10 points. The game remained fairly even for the next 10 minutes before the Youth Club moved up a gear to finish the game off. Firstly an exchange between McKerracher and Alan Rutter released winger Lewis Martin to finish off, then skipper Philip Anderson went over after some good work from replacement prop Ally Howieson, Knox converting the latter. Shortly after Rutter scored from a good break and Martin broke through for his second try of the day.

With only a few minutes remaining, Howieson gathered the ball in the Youth Club 22 and took it all the way into the Berwick 22 for Nichol to add the finishing touch. Just before the final whistle Anderson picked up from the back of a scrum to score the final try.

A good team performance with all 19 players contributing to this excellent win.

Tomorrow the Youth Club will play Hawick PSA at home – 2.30pm kick-off.