Souters’ surge seperates sides

Scott Hendrie Scores Selkirk's opening try against Peebles.
Scott Hendrie Scores Selkirk's opening try against Peebles.

Selkirk 41

Peebles 18


FIONA SCOTT reports from Philiphaugh

DRIVING wind and rain at Philiphaugh certainly didn’t help this Premier Two Borders derby encounter, but a second-half surge by Selkirk saw the Souters notch their second win on the bounce.

Peebles were the first to get points on the board when Neil Warnock wove a path to the try-line from just inside the Selkirk 22, but no sooner had he slotted the conversion than Selkirk equalised.

Scott Hendrie made a telling break up the touchline to go over at the corner flag. David Cassidy kicking the awkward conversion.

An intelligent piece of interplay between Fraser Harkness and Hendrie led to an almost identical try five minutes later, and not to be outdone, Cassidy mirrored his previous conversion.

Peebles had a chance to close the gap with a penalty shortly afterwards, but Neil Warnock’s ambitious attempt was off-target. His next, however, from a slightly easier angle, sailed over. Three minutes later, Cassidy slotted a similar award to leave the half-time score Selkirk 17 Peebles 10.

Three minutes into the second half, Cassidy added another three-pointer to boost the scoreline further.

Peebles pushed to reduce the deficit and following a prolonged spell in the Selkirk 22 were rewarded with a Warnock penalty. Just when it looked as though they may be making a comeback, though, disaster struck.

A loose ball just five metres from the Peebles line rebounded off the post and was hacked over by a Peebles foot. A mad scramble ensued, with three visiting players and Harkness all trying to get to the ball. It was the Selkirk player who got a hand to it, though, and Cassidy’s conversion just added insult to injury.

Almost embarrassed by his last score, Harkness turned on the style for his next with a typically speedy mazy run to the line to dot down the bonus-point try just four minutes later. Cassidy again popped over the conversion.

Credit to Peebles who continued to put pressure on their hosts and they, too, were favoured by fortune when a loose ball in the Selkirk in-goal area was pounced on by Drew Moore.

As time ran out, frustration crept into the Peebles play and referee Malcolm Gray soon lost patience with the repeated infringements, and singled out Alan Warnock for a spell in the sin-bin.

Taking advantage of the extra man, Selkirk struck immediately with another Harkness try, this time from close range, converted by Cassidy.

Speaking after the game Selkirk coach Brian Cassidy told TheSouthern: “I thought it would be a hard game and it certainly was.

“It was great to see our backs scoring tries and in general I thought that was a good win for us.”

Selkirk: F. Harkness; S. Hendrie, D. Cassidy, R. Nixon, C. Beattie; R. Banks, M. Davis; G. Patterson, S. Forrest, C. Lacour, R. Aglen, J. Kikvidze, N. Darling, C. Marshall, A. Renwick. Subs: C. McColm, C. Johnstone, P. Forrest, S. Renwick.

Peebles: D. Anderson; N. Hogarth, D. Clancy, T. Walsh, C. Blyth; N. Warnock, D. Moore; A. Clark, M. Carryer, R. Milne, C. Kaindl, K. Clyde, A. Warnock, E. Jackson, J. Forrester. Subs: A. Brown, G. Hogarth, D. Kilgour, N. MacKay.