Souters outplayed in second half

Clement Lacour on the charge for Selkirk
Clement Lacour on the charge for Selkirk

Watsonians 34

Selkirk 17


DESPITE holding their own in the first half, Selkirk had no answer when Watsonians’ well-drilled team turned up the heat after the break at Myreside.

Missing five players because of injury or unavailability, Selkirk knew they had to be at their best to compete on level terms with a city side that had scored 178 points in their previous five league encounters.

It took the home team just six minutes to put their first points on the board. Wing-forward Niall Dennis found himself in enough space to cross for a try, converted by Brian Walls.

But it took Selkirk just seven minutes to get back into the game. Good work in the loose by Ewan MacDougall allowed Peter Forrest, Cata Graur and Callum Johnston to take play deep into Watsonians territory. When the ball suddenly ricocheted behind the home try line, scrum-half Michael McVie pounced to score.

The visitors continued to take the game to the hosts, with Matt Kissick winning turnover ball at the next ruck and Rory Banks making good ground down the right.

However, at the next line-out, Selkirk spilled ball on the Watsonians 10m line and the capital men’s back division raced downfield for Rory Steele to score under the posts. Walls’ conversion put the Myreside men 14-5 ahead.

It looked as though the visitors would score when Gavin Craig made a superb 45m burst up the middle, but his final pass to Ross Nixon didn’t match the quality of his break and the chance went begging.

Watsonians increased their lead with a Mark Rennie try, followed by a similar score from Marcus Heather.

Selkirk cut the deficit to 24-12 in the 63rd minute when Clement Lacour was driven over for a try under the posts, converted by Banks.

However, further tries by Chris Scott and man-of-the-match Riaan Basson put Watsonians out of sight.

Selkirk had the consolation of scoring the final try of the afternoon when Craig went over for his team’s third touchdown in the 81st minute.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; R. Banks, M. Rutherford, R. Nixon, D. Clapperton; G. Craig, M. McVie; C. Lacour, P. Forrest, C. Graur, A. Lambie, M. Kissick, C. Johnston, A. Duckett, E. MacDougall. Subs: C. McColm, J. Bett, E. Turner, G. Patterson, R. Wilson.