Souters climb all over the Hills for record scoreline

Selkirk vs Hillhead Jordanhill. Ewan MacDougall  for Selkirk.
Selkirk vs Hillhead Jordanhill. Ewan MacDougall for Selkirk.


Hillhead Jordanhill5

Selkirk rocketed to the top of the BT National League Division One table on Saturday following a dazzling 12-try victory over Hillhead-Jordanhill at Philiphaugh.

The high-scoring Souters have now racked up 32 tries in their past four games.

However, head coach Peter Wright is far too wily a campaigner to let such remarkable statistics cloud his vision, and after the final whistle, he was at pains to stress the size of the task facing the team at Dundee this coming weekend.

He said:“It’s obviously pleasing to have made a good start to our league campaign, but it’s very early days and these wins will count for nothing if the players don’t front up at Mayfield on Saturday.

“I thought we held our shape and discipline really well today, and showed we’re capable of scoring from anywhere on the field.

“It was also good to see the three youngsters come off the bench in the second half. They all made a contribution, and the experience should stand them in good stead for future appearances.”

The three teenagers in question – Darren Knox, Phil Anderson and Sam Mackay – only came up to Philiphaugh this season from Selkirk Youth Club, and repaid the selectors’ confidence with workmanlike displays.

Josh Welsh opened the scoring with a sixth minute penalty before converting Selkirk’s opening try from Darren Clapperton.

Callum McColm raced under the posts for the home side’s second try before Clapperton went on a 55m sprint down the touchline for his second try of the match.

Straight from the restart, McColm managed to weave his way past three would-be tacklers, before returning Mikey Davies’ earlier favour by creating the space to send the scrum-half over the line for Selkirk’s bonus point try.

Welsh’s conversion sailed over and shortly afterwards he outstripped the Hills cover to score near the corner and give the Souters a 34-0 half-time lead.

Selkirk showed no sign of taking their foot off the gas after the interval, with tries by James Bett, Welsh (2), Clapperton and Ewan MacDougall taking the score to 65-0 before Craig Bryson scored a consolation touchdown for the visitors.

Selkirk had the final say with late touchdowns from Lewis MacLennan and Callum Marshall.

Josh Welsh finished the game with a personal haul of 30 points from three tries, a penalty and six conversions, while Rory Banks chipped in with the match’s last conversion to set the seal on Selkirk’s biggest-ever league win.