Souters’ boss Cassidy refuses to get carried away

Gavin Craig and Ross Nixon have Jed's Gary Elder surrounded. Photograph: Grant Kinghorn
Gavin Craig and Ross Nixon have Jed's Gary Elder surrounded. Photograph: Grant Kinghorn

Jed-Forest 3

Selkirk 40


FIONA SCOTT reports from Riverside Park

IT WAS very much a tale of two teams in this Borders derby clash at a balmy Riverside Park on Friday evening.

On this occasion it was Selkirk who ran out with all the plaudits and the home side were left with a lot of work to do ahead of this weekend’s National League kick-off.

Despite his side’s relatively easy victory, Selkirk coach Brian Cassidy was advising caution to his team after the game.

“I’m not getting carried away and that’s what I told the boys,” he told TheSouthern. “The pleasing thing about this game, though, was that it is a difficult place to come and so to come here and take 40 points is a tremendous starting point for us.

“That team, with seven new players, was outstanding, and I’m really chuffed.

“If I could criticise anything it was that they started to blow a bit near the end.”

Having just witnessed his team take a bit of a thumping from their local rivals, Jed coach Darren Cunningham was keen to move on and look for positives.

He told us: “We played a lot of young lads tonight, some of whom were playing their first senior competitive game, and individually they performed well.

“We are a couple of weeks behind where we should be in terms of preparation, but I’m sure everything will come together.

“We have to stay positive. They showed some promise out there and there are not too many alarm bells ringing yet.”

Pressure from the kick-off resulted in Jed giving away penalties in the early stages and Selkirk capitalised with Michael McVie notching the opening three points.

As always, Fraser Harkness proved a thorn in his opponents’ sides all night with some clever kicking and surging runs, and the flying full back was involved in the creation of both Scott Hendrie’s tries in the opening quarter, one of which was converted by McVie.

Jed then mounted a series of attacks to move play to the visitors’ 10m line, where a successful penalty kick by stand-off Iain Chisholm allowed the hosts to open their account.

Almost immediately Selkirk responded, Ryan Crockatt picking up at the base of a scrum to dart over, leaving the score at 20-3 in the visitors’ favour at half-time.

The rout continued after the restart.

McVie added a second penalty goal before further tries from Lewis McLennan, Harkness and Peter Forest, one converted by McVie, completed the final scoreline.

Jed-Forest: R. McFarlane; D. Gobby, D. Wallace, S. McDonald, C. Gillon; I. Chisholm, R. Goodfellow; A. Ions, D. Grieve, C. Hogg, S. Scott, N. Cook, G. Elder, G. Taylor, M. Weekley. Subs: G. Slorance, S. Raeburn, J. Hogg, D. Grieve, M. Chisolm.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; J. Welsh, S. Hendrie, R. Nixon, C. McColm; G. Craig, M. McVie; C. Graur, S. Forrest, C. Lacour, M. Kissick, A. Renwick, E. MacDougall, A. Duckett, R. Crockatt. Subs: L. McLennan, B. Reid, P. Forrest, K. Mitchell, F. Orr.