Selkirk race back to equality after Biggar take control

Biggar 16

Selkirk 16


GEORGE THOMSON reports from Hartreemill

THESE two well-drilled teams met for what turned out to be a tough encounter at Hartree Mill on Saturday.

The first-half conditions favoured the visitors, but Biggar enjoyed the lion’s share of possession and their backs and forwards combined well with some fine handling moves orchestrated by fly half Connor Lavery.

It was somewhat against the run of play when David Cassidy kicked the Souters into a 3-0 lead with a well-struck penalty. Biggar drew level at 3-3 when Craig Parker slotted a similar effort and half-time arrived with few Selkirk plus-points.

Five minutes into the second half Parker kicked his second successful penalty and Cassidy did likewise a few minutes later to bring the scores level again.

The Selkirk pack was starting to up the ante and storming runs by Rory Aglen and Pete Mirrielees had the Biggar defence working overtime.

However, with 30 minutes remaining, the game swung back in the home side’s favour with Parker’s third penalty, quickly followed by the first try of the afternoon.

Selkirk had not conceded a single try in their two previous Premier C games, but on this occasion it was the alert actions of Kiwi Hata Wilbore which resulted in Cassidy’s clearance kick being charged down.

The ball bounced kindly for the Biggar winger and he strolled over for a touchdown under the bar. Parker added the extras and all of a sudden they had opened up a 10-point lead.

This setback stirred Selkirk and they were soon on the offensive, hammering their way into the Biggar 22.

After a telling forwards drive for the line was halted, the ball was quickly recycled for scrum half Michael McVie to crash over for fine try near the posts.

Cassidy converted and the Souters continued to exert pressure with the game entering the final quarter. This pressure was turned into valuable points when Biggar gave away a penalty bang in front of the posts and Cassidy brought the scores level at 16 apiece.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; S. Hendrie, D. Cassidy, R. Nixon, N. Godsmark; M. Rutherford, M. McVie; S. Renwick, P. Mirrielees, C. Lacour, R. Aglen, A. Renwick, N. Darling, C. Johnston, C. Marshall. Subs: D. Clapperton, J. Bett, G. Patterson, R. Crockatt.