Second half resurgence sees Souters secure points

Callum McEwan for Selkirk A against Boroughmuir A.
Callum McEwan for Selkirk A against Boroughmuir A.

Selkirk A31

Boroughmuir 2nds27

Things looked far from rosy as Selkirk found themselves trailing 22-13 with just over half an hour of this National Reserve League match remaining.

But, as has been the case in previous games, the A team took the game by the scruff of the neck to bounce back and secure a mammoth victory.

“The boys certainly had to dig deep today,” Selkirk coach Neill Wood said after the game, “but they showed great self-belief when the chips were down. This team never gives up, and the players’ commitment over the whole 80 minutes was exceptional.”

A telling moment came when wing Tom Walling single-handedly charged down a Boroughmuir conversion kick in front of the posts – his never-say-die attitude typifying the Souters’ spirit.

The home team suffered an early setback when prop Michael Waldron had to leave the field with a back injury following a heavy challenge, his place being taken by teenager Bruce Riddell. Two penalties by Rory Banks were answered by a Boroughmuir penalty and drop goal, making the score 6-6 approaching the interval.

Just before the break Selkirk struck a decisive blow when Sean Nixon – who had an outstanding afternoon and was later named Selkirk’s ‘Man of the Match’ – latched on to Michael Rutherford’s neat inside pass to crash over for a try close to the posts. Banks converted, making the half-time score: Selkirk 13 Boroughmuir 6.

It was the visitors who called the shots after the interval, two quick tries and two penalties catapulting them into a 22-13 lead. However, during this period one of their locks received a yellow card and the home team was quick to take advantage.

Sustained pressure on the Boroughmuir line led to a try by scrum-half Callum McColm, followed by two further Banks penalties. Selkirk’s third try was scored by skipper Scott McDonald, converted by Banks, and although the visitors hit back with an unconverted try in injury time, Wood’s men held their nerve to pull off another impressive win.

Selkirk now sit in third place on the Reserve League One table, three points behind this week’s visitors Gala A, with Ayr 2nds sandwiched in the middle.