Losing bonus points are no consolation to Cunningham

Jed-Forest 25

Watsonians 29


IRONICALLY, in what turned out to be the last game in charge for head coach Darren Cunningham, Jed-Forest put on a much improved performance to gain two much needed bonus points on Saturday.

Indeed, it was a huge turnaround from the first game against the Myreside outfit this season, when Jed lost by more than 70 points.

Some stout defending in the opening stages prevented a fired-up home outfit from crossing the line and it was Watsonians that scored the first points when Mike Ker kicked a penalty, quickly followed by a try from No8 Chris Scott on 27 minutes.

Ker, having a good day with the boot, converted another penalty before converting a second try from Scott, but Jed had the final say in the first half when David Gobby slipped an inside pass to Gregor Young to score in the corner, making the score Jed-Forest 5 Watsonians 20 at the break.

It was a case of all guns blazing for the hosts after the restart.

However, it was visitors’ kicker Ker who scored first with a penalty. The score only served to heighten the resolve of the Jed side, however, as Chris Gillon scorched down his wing to touch down in the corner and Gregor Young scored his second try, converted by Iain Chisholm.

Replacement Gregor Taylor was next on the scoresheet, with an excellent solo effort, which brought the hosts to within a single point going into the last five minutes.

Watson’s replacement scrum half Riaan Basson kicked a penalty after two minutes of injury time and Jed threw everything into attack for the remaining minutes only to be beaten by the referee’s whistle.

Jed-Forest: Gregor Young; D. Wallace, R. Hogg, S. McDonald, D. Gobby; I. Chisholm, R. Goodfellow; A. Ions, D. Grieve, G. Slorance, G. Elder, Glen Young, M. Weekley, J. Sudlow, D. Grieve. Subs: S. Raeburn, G. Taylor, C. Gillon.

z Jed-Forest issued a statement on Sunday to say that Cunningham would be leaving the club with immediate effect (full story on page 23).