Late surge not enough for Melrose



Melrose took their time to get going on what was a beautiful afternoon for rugby at the Greenyards on Saturday.

Indeed, John Dalziel’s men were trailing by 31-14 by the time they kick-started their comeback well into the second half and by that time it was too big a gap to claw back.

They did, however, fight hard enough to pick up two points from a losing and try bonus, but for try-scorer Andrew Nagle, and the rest of the Melrose team, it was a frustrating afternoon.

“The last 15 minutes was really how we would have liked to play the whole game,” he said. “We put our heads down then and really went for it. The crowd really got behind us, too, but we just left it too late.”

Boroughmuir opened the scoring on nine minutes when Cal Bezuidenhout slotted a penalty, but five minutes later, a fine display of passing saw Fraser Thomson touch down to the left of the posts with Richard Mill converting.

Bezuidenhout then tore through the heart of the Melrose defence, unopposed, for a try which he, himself, converted before adding the extras to a try from team-mate Jordan Edmunds.

Melrose kept in touch, Nagle scoring from a scrum and Mill converting, to make the half-time score Melrose 14 Boroughmuir 17.

The visitors stepped up a gear after the break. Bezuidenhout launched a kick down the far touchline. The ball bounced up into the hands of Rory Scott who scored a try, with the provider adding the extras. Minutes later Magnus Bradbury picked up on a wheeling scrum and broke up the blind side for the Boroughmuir bonus point try with Bezuidenhout again converting.

Melrose began to come back into it with 10 minutes to go. Boroughmuir’s new South African signing, Charlie Purdon, earned himself a yellow card and four minutes later Tom Wilson found a gap to race up the stand side before off-loading to Ross Miller, whose pace took him over the try line for Mill to convert. Muir then went down to 13 men when Andy Rose was yellow-carded for a high tackle and, within a minute, Ruaridh Knott raced into the Church Corner for the Melrose bonus-point try.