Last-gasp victory for Youth Club


WITH both teams evenly matched throughout, and with Kelso Quins ahead for just about most of the game, it was a last-minute try by Jordan Lunt that sealed victory for Youth Club last weekend.

Play swung from end to end throughout, with exciting rugby on show from the off.

After a period of Youth Club pressure, visitors Kelso worked their way into their opponents’ half and a flowing move through the backs resulted in their winger going over to score, as well as converting.

The hosts took the game into the Kelso half, but despite all their efforts they could not penetrate a well-drilled defence. Kelso finished the half stronger and would have scored again but for some determined work from Youth Club forwards to keep the interval deficit at 7–0.

Kelso increased their lead from a well-struck penalty after the restart, but Youth Club absorbed the pressure of a confident visiting attack. Shortly after, the Souters’ efforts were rewarded with a penalty in front of the posts which centre Jack Elliot slotted over.

Despite playing some good rugby, Kelso were unable to increase their lead and Youth Club upped the tempo. After a number of phases of play, Stewart Hendry touched down in the corner to make it 10-8.

Now rattled, Kelso worked towards the Youth Club try line and were awarded a penalty which was knocked over before running in a try, stretching the gap to 10 points with only 15 minutes remaining.

Once again Youth Club rallied and worked their way into the visitors’ half. Following good combination play, Scott McClymont scored in the corner to reduce the deficit.

With full time looming it still looked as if Kelso would be going home with the points until Youth Club gained possession in their own half and, in a move started by Nichol, Callum McEwan passed to supporting second row Lunt who dashed over the Kelso try line to touch down near the posts. Elliot knocked over the conversion to make it 20 points to 18.

With virtually the last play of the game, Harlequins were awarded a penalty in the Youth Club half, but the resulting kick just dropped short and the referee blew for full time, much to the delight of the home support.

Tomorrow Youth Club are away to Hawick Wanderers at Volunteer Park – kick-off 3pm.