Kelso struggle in the scrums as Stew/Mel enjoy comfy win

Stewart’s/Melville FP 29

Kelso 5


KELSO came back down to earth with a bump after their excellent win against Watsonians last weekend.

The game was evenly matched for the first 20 minutes, although there were early signs that the Tweedsiders were going to have a tough day in the scrums.

The first Stew/Mel try came after a moment of slackness on the part of the visitors after 23 minutes.

A quick tap penalty on the 22 caught the defence napping as they turned their backs and George Turner drove over the line.

As half-time approached, Kelso had a chance after a penalty had been kicked into the corner, but a mix-up in the line-out brought no success.

A scrum on halfway produced quick ball for the Stew/Mel backs and Liam Steele cut through the Kelso defence to run in between the posts.

Stuart Ker converted to put the home team 12-0 ahead.

There followed a succession of penalties and then a yellow card for Stew/Mel prop Reese O’Leary. He was a lucky lad only to get yellow, as it was a clear case of foul play with the boot.

The second half started with some end-to-end play, with both sides having their share of possession and chances.

However, just as things were settling for Kelso, they conceded a turnover and fast hands through the home backs brought a try for Richard Borthwick. Ker again converted with a fine kick.

Kelso scored soon after when they moved the ball across the field, then back again with good continuity and support for Mark Chester to go over in the left hand corner, too far out for the kick to be successful.

Solid defence by Kelso kept their opponents at bay and their only addition was a Ker penalty, until a moment of magic and sublime running by Steele put the result beyond doubt.

Kelso: K. Utterson; H. Lees, R. Minto, E. Ford, G. Minto; M. Chester, A. Tait; A. Frame, C. Riddell, A. Marsh, D. Seed, I. Wallace, L. Mitchell, S. Carnegie, J. Stevenson. Subs: D. Cowan, A. Marshall, R. Henderson, N. Trotter.