Improved Kelso make their point

Andrew Skeen kicks a penalty for Kelso
Andrew Skeen kicks a penalty for Kelso


Edinburgh Accies20

For once, the rugby gods were smiling on Kelso as they battled back from 17-6 down halfway through the second half to snatch a draw – and almost a win – as a last-minute drop goal attempt drifted past the posts.

It was not a great day for watching rugby, never mind playing, as the incessant rain was guaranteed to make the pitch soft and favour the team which had the bigger forwards in driving mauls and scrum.

Kelso continued to fare badly in the scrums as far as the referee was concerned, conceding the usual batch of penalties, a penalty try and a yellow card against their most experienced prop, Stuart Lowrie.

It was first blood to the Poynder Park outfit when Andrew Skeen slotted a penalty after five minutes, but that was quickly neutralised by Stuart Evans for Accies.

Skeen kicked another penalty for a ruck offence by Accies, before a penalty against Lewis Mallin for an off-the-ball incident put pressure on Kelso. After a series of set pieces, Accies eventually broke down the home defence and the referee awarded a penalty try when the Kelso scrum, which was retreating at a rate of knots, disintegrated. Evans kicked the goal.

Accies were going for the kill and drove a lineout over the home line, but the ball was held up and half-time came, much to the relief of the Poynder faithful.

The visitors started the sharper in the second half and it was only good defence by the Tweedsiders that held them at bay.

However, after 50 minutes, Kelso lost Stuart Lowrie to the sin bin following a scrimmaging offence.

While he was off, Accies second row Ronan Seydack sailed in at the posts to give Evans an easy conversion to take his side 17-6 ahead.

The Kelso recovery started as Conway Pretorius raced in from 30m. The conversion was good.

Evans kicked a penalty for Accies to widen the gap, but Mark Wilson stormed over for his fourth try in four games, giving Skeen the chance to level the scores with the conversion.

Momentum was with the Tweedsiders in the last 10 minutes and the final chance came with a speculative drop goal attempt by Andrew Skeen, which missed the target.