Heriot’s 36-26 Hawick

Heriot's No 8 Jason Hill is stopped by Hawick. Picture: Andy O'Brien
Heriot's No 8 Jason Hill is stopped by Hawick. Picture: Andy O'Brien

Hawick competed but just couldn’t match the Heriot’s scoring rate as the Edinburgh side won to go top of the BT Premiership.

The Greens did not roll over. Three times they came back with tries of their own to counter home scores. They drew level at the beginning of the second half but, despite a fourth try late on, they just couldn’t keep up with Heriot’s.

Heriot’s were denied a try within minutes of kick-off when Russell Nimmo’s pass to fellow lock Roan van Heerden was forward, but there was no stopping scrum-half Graham Wilson as he picked up at the rear of a ruck inside the 22 and scampered over without a hand being laid on him. He converted his own try.

Hawick were competing in the loose and at the lineouts but overpowered at every scrum. A rolling maul got them to within five metres but when they tried to go wide the Heriot’s defence was quick to snuff out the danger.

A second try soon settled Heriot’s as the ball flashed from one side of the pitch to the other for full back Charlie Simpson to score on the left. Wilson converted from the touchline.

Hawick then exploited an aimless hack ahead from midfield that set up a foot race won by the long-striding inside centre Wiaan Greibenhow. Lee Armstrong converted.

But Heriot’s turned to their dominant scrum and went for a pushover try that was successful at the second attempt. Wilson got both try and conversion.

Heriot’s looked to be cruising with half-time approaching but a flowing passing move suddenly turned ugly for them as Darcy Graham stepped in to intercept and run 60 metres to go under the posts. Armstrong converted.

After the break Heriot’s were caught cold again when Hawick centre John Coutts broke up the middle, off-leaded to No.8 Keith Davies who passed inside to flanker Stuart Graham for the try. Armstrong’s conversion brought the sides level.

Heriot’s went to their scrum again, choosing it over penalty attempts from inside the 22. A yellow card for captain Bruce McNeil further weakened the pack and at the next set piece it was No.8 Jason Hill who scored the bonus point try. Wilson converted.

Hawick battled valiantly but a Cameron Ferguson try for Heriot’s created too much of a gap and a fourth comeback try by Sean Goodfellow was only good for a bonus point as a Wilson penalty put the game out of their reach.