Hawick fight to the end for Cup Final spot

Delight from Bruce McNeil as the final whistle sounds
Delight from Bruce McNeil as the final whistle sounds

Hawick 6 Heriot’s 3


Hawick’s season became a whole lot better last Saturday after the Greens torpedoed Heriot’s hopes of double honours with a heroic win over the Goldenacre side to book their place in the final of the BT Cup on April 18.

As a consequence Hawick have been forced to change the date of the annual sevens tournament, now rescheduled for Sunday May 10, making the Mansfield Park event the penultimate round in the Kings of the Sevens series.

Hawick’s semi final win last Saturday means that the Greens return to Murrayfield for the Cup final after a gap of 13 years.

Heriot’s will argue that Saturday’s result was down to a decision seconds before full time when at the end of a ten minute siege on the Hawick line centre Max Learmonth took the ball at pace and in the view of coach Phil Smith appeared to have grounded the ball.

Referee Graeme Wells was unsighted and sadly for Heriot’s, so was his assistant, Stephen Ward, and with neither official unable to confirm proper grounding of the ball, the ‘try’ was not awarded. If ever television were needed at Mansfield Park this was the moment.

Notwithstanding Heriot’s woes, Hawick were worth their win. Their defence in the face of Heriot’s forward bulk was nothing short of heroic and it was the Greens who produced the only real break of the match with a trademark run from Hutton. But on a day when the wind, rain and a heavy pitch mitigated against running rugby it was hardly surprising that the game was settled by penalty goals, two by Lee Armstrong for Hawick to one by Graham Wilson for Heriot’s.

But in Cup rugby it’s about scoring more points than the opposition. The Greens did just that and are now set for a showdown with Boroughmuir on what will be a day out but hopefully one not wasted for Hawick fans at BT Murrayfield next month.

Read more about the Heriot’s game in Thursday’s Southern Reporter.

Hawick: L. Armstrong; S. Peffer, N. Walker, G. Johnstone, S. McLeod; R. Hutton, G. Cottrell; S. Muir, L. Gibson, M. Landels, M. McKee, B. McNeil, N. McTaggart, R. Scott, K. Daviesl. Subs: R. Graham, W. Blacklock, N. McLennan, M. Robertson, R. Gibson, S. Goodfellow, M. Douglas.

Heriot’s: G. Bryce; C. Simpson, M. Learmonth, K. Buchan, C. Goudie; S. Edwards, G. Wilson; N. Borel, D. McGregor, S. Cessford, R. Nimmo, J. Turley, J. Armstrong, J. McLean, J. Hill. Subs: G. Turner, S. Mustard, J. P. Ward, J. Syme, D. Levison, G. McNeish, J. Laird.

Referee: G. Wells.