Hawick feel the heat at Currie

editorial image

Currie 45 Hawick 17


HAWICK dropped into the relegation red zone after defeat to a reinvigorated Currie side at Malleny Park and now have their remaining matches against Ayr and Heriot’s at Mansfield Park from which to exact life-saving Premiership points.

“We’ll try our damnedest and if we go down we’ll go down fighting,” said a defiant Hawick coach Phil Leck.

“It’s a difficult ask but we’ll keep going. We’ve got another two games and we’ll try to take something out of them.”

What was deeply disappointing for the Hawick fans at Malleny Park and for the coaching team was the margin of defeat especially so after the Greens had come desperately close to toppling Gala sevens days earlier. And it was a margin that widened from a seven point gap early in the second half to a twenty eight point chasm at the final whistle after Currie had run amok in the final quarter with three converted tries.

The final score tally, however, was not a shock to those watching the game. Currie, who had the services of Edinburgh lock, Sean Cox and Edinburgh centre Joaquim Dominguez were much stronger in the forward battle where their heavyweights, and notably number 8 Ross Weston, made damaging dents in the Hawick defence.

And with quality possession being served up on a silver platter, Currie’s backs had more chances to attack than Hawick, who struggled collectively to pose an offensive threat. Ironically the one player who did cut through the Currie defence was centre James Johnstone, a regular at Malleny Park before the professional draft relocated the former Merchiston player to Hawick.

It was Weston who opened the scoring with a close range try from a five metre scrum move and the conversion by full back George Horne. Hawick should have hit back when Keith Davies was put in the clear, but instead of using winger Scott MacLeod, Davies opted to go it alone. In the event when Davies was tackled a metre short, the ball fell into the hands of Currie wing Ruaridh Smith who scorched down the right touchline to create a try for prop John Cox, converted by Horne.

That score clearly shattered Hawick and was arguably the turning point in the game Currie then added a further first half try, this time by flanker Mark Cairns but before half time Hawick claimed first points with a try by Wullie Blacklock from a reverse pass by Greg Cottrell and the conversion by Neil Renwick

A Smith try for Currie was answered by a try from James Johnstone and the conversion and a penalty by Renwick to bring the scores to 24-17.

But Hawick’s hopes of closing the gap were quickly dashed as Smith claimed a second try before Dominguez and replacement Malcolm Peacock completed the rout.

Hawick: N. Renwick; N. Walker, J. Johnstone, G. Johnstone, S. MacLeod; R. Hutton, G. Cottrell; S. Muir, L. Graham, W. Blacklock, R. McAlpine, B. McNeil, S. Graham, N. McTaggart, K. Davies. Subs: L. Landers, M. Landels, K. Wilison, L. Armstrong, A. Weir.