Harkness does the double in final Philiphaugh fling

editorial image


Hillhead Jordanhill12

Much to the relief of their supporters, Selkirk got back to winning ways after a run of three defeats with a hard-fought victory over Hills at Philiphaugh on Saturday .

The win lifts them to fifth place in the RBS National League, with two games left to play.

Selkirk’s success was overshadowed by the news that this was to be the last home appearance of the club’s former skipper and talismanic full back Fraser Harkness, who had earlier made the following announcement on his Facebook home page: “After 11 years I have decided that today will be my last home game in a Selkirk jersey.

“I just wanted to thank everyone who’s been involved at the club for the time I have been there, and to thank the supporters who make it the club what it is. Cheers.”

It wasn’t long before the former Scotland Club XV and Scotland sevens star was showing everyone exactly why he is such a devastatingly-effective player by bursting over the line for two tries in the space of eight minutes early in the match. Rory Banks slotted a penalty in between the two tries and converted the latter.

On the half-hour mark Selkirk went further ahead. Harkness again made ground before off-loading the ball to Darren Clapperton to score, Banks converting.

A minute before half-time, Selkirk secured their fourth try to effectively put the game beyond the Glasgow visitors. An overthrow by Hills hooker Jamie Leslie saw the ball go loose at the tail of the line-out, where home openside Angus Duckett scooped it up and crashed over for the bonus-point try. Banks’ successful conversion put the home team in the driving seat with an interval lead of 29-0.

Far from conceding defeat, the Glasgow visitors stepped up their efforts at the start of the second half and deservedly pulled two scores back thanks to tries by Sean Mills and Blair Macpherson. Andy Leslie added one of the conversions.

With Selkirk’s scrum having to give second best to the visiting eight, the home side was reduced to 14 men at the start of the final quarter when Scott Hendrie was yellow-carded for a ruck infringement. This led to a change of personnel, Scott’s brother Jason taking the field in place of Josh Welsh.

Selkirk had the last word when Rory Banks sliced through the Hills defence for his team’s fifth try following a breenge by prop Cata Graur.