Hard day at the office for Selkirk’s back row men

Selkirk vs Boroughmuir. Matt Kissick
Selkirk vs Boroughmuir. Matt Kissick



Selkirk’s three-match winning streak in the RBS National League was brought to a juddering halt by Boroughmuir at Philiphaugh.

The visitors’ physicality and high-tempo play had Selkirk at full stretch throughout the contest.

To their credit, the home players never stopped competing, and Scott Hendrie’s try five minutes from time was warmly received by the large Selkirk support, who might not have enjoyed seeing their team concede six tries, but nevertheless did have the consolation of being able to bask in some glorious autumn sunshine.

No-one worked harder to stem the tide of royal blue jerseys than Selkirk’s back row of Ewan MacDougall, Angus Duckett and Matt Kissick, whose combined tackle count must have borne comparison with the high total displayed on the scoreboard in the latter stages of the contest.

What didn’t help the home side’s cause was a higher-than-average error count, plus a worrying paucity of set-piece ball.

The city side took the lead in the second minute from a David Reekie penalty.

Reekie then converted a try from prop Jonny Latta shortly afterwards.

On the 25-minute mark, a pre-planned peel around the front of the line-out saw lock Greig Scott burst through two tackles for the visitors’ second. There was to be no let-up in the intensity of the Boroughmuir players’ approach and the visitors’ defence showed itself capable of dealing with anything Selkirk threw at them.

Just before the break, Josh Welsh received a yellow card for what was judged a deliberate knock-on. Although he was followed to the bin moments later by visiting hooker Cal Davies, Boroughmuir still had enough men to create an overlap for centre Alex Cox to score out wide, Reekie converting, giving ’Muir a 22-0 interval lead.

Boroughmuir put the result beyond doubt within a minute of the restart when Robert Cairns touched down before further tries came from Sam Johnson and Cox, with Reekie converting all three.

Hendrie salvaged some pride for the Souters after working a scissors move to touch down at the corner flag.

Selkirk: J. Welsh, S. Hendrie, L. Kibble, R. Nixon, D. Clapperton, G. Craig, F. Harkness, G. Patterson, I. Walling, C. Graur, E. MacDougall, S. Renwick, R. Crockatt, A. Duckett, M. Kissick. Subs: S. Tough, J. Bett, A. Lambie, G. Turner.