Gutsy Jed get one over on local rivals

Jed-Forest 23 Selkirk 17


FIONA SCOTT reports from Riverside Park

AN entertaining derby match was what was expected from the large turnout of supporters at Riverside Park, and, that’s exactly what they got.

Playing on a sticky surface both teams attempted to play running rugby with possession being split equally throughout the game.

Realistically Jed needed five wins from five to save themselves from relegation and some bonus points on top along the way. This victory against Selkirk may not, at the end of the day, keep them in the national set-up next season, but, it has to restore some of the faith needed in Kevin Barrie’s young side to take them straight back up again.

The hosts were seven points ahead after 10 minutes, a Ewan Scott penalty and a try from Nua Fono-Hunt providing the points, but Selkirk regrouped and replied with a Gavin Craig try converted by Mike McVie.

Stalemate ensued for much of the remainder of the remainder of the half, up to the 39th minute in fact, but once again the hosts showed their commitment to the league with a well worked move along the back line ending with a try out wide from Lewis Young. Scott’s conversion bounced off the post, as had his earlier attempt, and the half ended with Jed 13-7 in front.

An exchange of penalties between Michael McVie and Jed’s Iain Chisolm kept the scoreline ticking over at the start of the second half before, once again, the game lapsed into stalemate with no quarter given by either side.

Until the closing 10 minutes that is when slow and dogged turned into fast and furious with tries at either end. Selkirk went in front for the first time in the game on 73 minutes when Stuart Forrest was bundled over. No sooner had Mike McVie nailed the conversion however than Jed had there response in the bag. A second try by Fono-Hunt, converted by Chisolm, edging the hosts back in front.

Belief that the home side could secure that final touch down to achieve the much needed bonus point was almost palpable and Jed’s young warriors tried their best but it was not to be as the referee blew the whistle on what had been a highly entertaining game.

Jed-Forest: I. Chisolm; L. Young, R. Hogg, E. Scott, D. Gobby; N. Fono-Hunt, R. Goodfellow; A. Ions, David Grieve, A. Frame, G. Young, G. Elder, M. Weekley, Donald Grieve, S. Reaburn. Subs: N. Bates, J. Sudlow, J. Rowley, R. Miller, C. Gillon.

Selkirk: F. Harkness; C. McColm, S. Bell, R. Nixon, D. Clapperton; G. Craig, M. McVie; S. Renwick, J. Bett, C. Graur, A. Renwick, E. Turner, C. Marshall, M. Robertson, E. MacDougall. Subs: L. MacLennan, S. Forrest, A. Duckett, M. Waldron, K. Mitchell.