Greens keep on track for top flight

Watsonians 22 Hawick 27


PREMIER one rugby next season remains a possibility for Phil Leck’s Hawick side following their four try victory over Watsonians at Myreside last weekend.

The visitors opened brightly when stand off Rory Hutton scored a fine try within five minutes which Lee Armstrong converted. The Myreside men responded five minutes later with a try and conversion to level the scores.

The Greens were reduced to 14 men when flanker Keith Davies was yellow carded after half an hour to be followed soon after by the home No 8. Half time score: 7-7.

The second half started well for the Greens with Ross Armstrong scoring a try after good interplay from the backs.

After an hour the visitors Gary Johnstone made a good break which led to Steven Anderson touching down for a third and Neil Renwick landed the conversion to stretch the lead.

The home side showed up well in the backs and responded with a smart try to narrow the lead. The Greens bonus point try came next when Keith Davies made a good opening and Garry Johnstone continued and fed Ross Armstrong to score and collect his brace to give a 24-12 lead.

With ten minutes left the home team scored another try after some slack defending by the visitors. Renwick scored a fine penalty goal in 75 minutes from 35 metres to give Hawick a 10 point lead.

Watsonians were not done yet and scored their fourth try with three minutes left to take them to within a converted try of winning and it was only down to some fine defending from the Greens that they didn’t. Hawick came away with a good away victory and a fighting chance in their quest to stay in Premier One next season though another bonus point win will be required at Jed-Forest this weekend.

Hawick: N. Renwick; G. Johnstone, L. Armstrong, R. Armstrong, S. Anderson; R. Hutton, G. Cottrell; R. Sutherland, M. Landels, S. Linton, M. Robertson, B. Keown, N. Mactaggart, K. Davies, B. McNeil. Subs: L. Gibson, S. Muir, G. Hogg, L. Lawrence.