Greens hit the ground running in Border League opener at Kelso

editorial image

Kelso 17

Hawick 41


STUART CAMERON reports from Poynder Park

HAWICK boss Phil Leck was delighted with his team’s win at Poynder Park because it was Kelso who spoiled his welcome party last season when he took over at the club.

This visit was more to his liking as the Greens won comfortably, and in doing so posted the biggest score against Kelso at Poynder Park by anyone for well over a year.

After plenty of early pressure Rory Hutton went over for the opening try thanks to some superb work by Neil Renwick, who turned over possession inside the Kelso 22.

The large support, on this occasion bathed in sunshine, always seem to get plenty of tries when these two sides meet and, credit to Kelso, they survived their early problems to take the lead when Euan Ford rumbled over with Murray Hastie converting.

But Hawick struck back immediately.

Two tries in two minutes from Kieran Willison and then an interception score by Lee Armstrong knocked the stuffing out of Kelso, and when Neil Renwick kicked a penalty from half way to add to the conversion of Armstrong’s try, Hawick had built up a lead which they would never lose.

On the 40-minute mark, Hastie slotted a penalty to keep Kelso in the game, but when Keith Davies touched down just after the break – converted by Renwick – the Greens were in total control.

They were playing quality rugby and Rory Hutton was on fire, having one of those games that we know he is capable of.

If he delivers performances like this regularly he will be in line for another crack at pro rugby.

His second try was a trademark move, sending his opponent the wrong way and darting in under the posts. Renwick’s conversion took the score to 34-10.

Richard Minto got a try back for Kelso, converted by Hastie, with 10 minutes remaining, but it wasn’t enough.

The Greens’ final try was out of the top drawer. Brilliant handling sent Keith Davies in for his second touchdown – his second brace against Kelso in successive matches – and Renwick’s fourth conversion of the day sealed a 41-17 win.

Kelso: M. Hastie; J. Pick, R. Minto, F. Robson, G. Minto; W. Massey, A. Tait; K. Cooney, C. Riddell, S. Lowrie, D. Seed, J. Stewart, M. Robertson, E. Ford, D. Gillespie. Subs: P. Grahamslaw, R. Henderson, A. Wallace, M. Wilson, K. Flannigan.

Hawick: N. Renwick; S. Anderson, L. Armstrong, G. Johnstone, S. McLeod; R. Hutton, G. Cottrell; S. Muir, L. Gibson, D. Johnstone, C. Smith, K. Willison, N. MacTaggart, R. Scott, K. Davies. Subs: B. Keown, S. Graham, R. Armstrong, A. Weir, G. Anderson.