A little too much Force for Selkirk reserves

Selkirk ‘A’ 15, Hawick Force 27

Wednesday, 18th December 2019, 4:00 pm
Andrew McColm aims to break away for Selkirk 'A' (picture by Grant Kinghorn)

League leaders Hawick Force proved too strong for second-placed Selkirk ‘A’ in Saturday’s top-of-the-table Tennent’s Reserve League East 1 clash at Philiphaugh.

Playing into the strong wind, Selkirk had to withstand a prolonged spell of early pressure on their own line, before surprising the visitors with a breakaway try scored by Rory Hamilton.

Stung by this setback, Hawick Force’s strong-running threequarters exploited some weak tackling in the home team’s defensive line to score three unanswered tries in the space of 14 minutes. through Aaron Redpath, Mully Bannerman and Kyle Brunton (who added a conversion) to go 17-5 ahead at the break.

Sign up to our daily The Southern Reporter Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The visitors stretched their lead early in the second half through Bannerman’s second try but Selkirk hit back when flanker Andrew McColm rounded off a quickly taken tap penalty by diving over for an opportunist score.

Hawick scrum-half Deaglan Lightfoot put the result beyond doubt by scoring his team’s fifth try and, soon afterwards, Force replacement Paul Stewart was shown a yellow and then a red card by referee Alastair Kirk.

In the closing minutes of the match, Kieran Monks scored a consolation try for the Philiphaugh side, making the final score 27-15 in the visitors’ favour.

Saturday’s Four Season’s Forestry ‘Selkirk Man of the Match’ award went to Rory Hamilton.

Selkirk ‘A’: M. Rutter, N. Armstrong, L. Martin, H. Aynsley, H. Macdonell, D. Cassidy, R. Hamilton, G. Forrest, M. Francis, M. Haldane, M. Mackay, P. Smail, A. McColm, L. Cassidy, R. Purves. Replacements: R. Reilly, K. Thomson, S. Wilson, K. Monks, M. Brass, C. Young.

Hawick Force: M. Bannerman, R. McKean, A. Redpath, G. Welsh, M. Tait, K. Brunton, D. Lightfoot, R. Toogood, R. Hartdegen, R. Macleod, J. Grant, M. Renwick, G. Wardle, G. Huggan, J. Rowley. Replacements: N. Murray, P. Stewart, R. Bannerman.

Referee – Alastair Kirk (Melrose).