Reivers return with magnificent seven

Kirsty Miller (left) goes in for the attack during Saturday's game v Glasgow University
Kirsty Miller (left) goes in for the attack during Saturday's game v Glasgow University

Fjordhus Reivers7

Glasgow University3

After the winter break for National League hockey, Fjordhus Reivers Ladies’ first XI were looking forward to getting back into action on the pitch.

Both teams had encountered disruption to training sessions prior to the match date due to the icy weather and this showed in the early exchanges, when possession was turned over readily.

The University girls were the first on the scoresheet from a penalty corner, but Reivers reacted immediately, Janet Jack using controlled distribution to find Sarah Mathers free in the circle, where she coolly eliminated her opposite number to round the keeper and score.

A couple of missed opportunities at goal in open play were offset by good work in penalty corners by Reivers and it was from one of these that Claire Townsend hammered an unstoppable straight strike from the top of the circle for goal number two.

A further penalty corner was awarded to Reivers and, with the initial strike from Townsend saved, the deflection was sent skyward with Pippa Bell in a prime position to take the ball in the air and fire it past the stranded keeper on the volley.

With a couple of substitutions made late into the half, the home side lost some of their defensive composure, which allowed Glasgow back into the game, but the Reivers held the edge with a 3-2 scoreline at the halfway stage.

Although feeling in control of the game, Reivers were guilty of some weak decisions which provided Glasgow with easy ball.

However, this did not deter the Borders team, and a quick succession of two goals, from Bell and Janet Jack, kept them in a comfortable position.

Glasgow struck back with their third goal before Reivers well and truly sealed the win.

Laura McLean went on a mazy run and laid the ball off to Kirsty Miller, who stunned the opposition with a reverse hit into the roof of the goal.

Tentative and narrow play in the final five minutes again gave Glasgow scoring opportunities, but defensive strength from Morven Cawthorn and Caroline Duff denied any chances being converted.

Bell was able to claim her third of the match in the final minute from a further penalty corner, as a slip pass from McLean was deflected low into the corner of the goal.

The ladies have a double-header away next weekend vs Dundee University and St Andrews University.