Kelso end season with a haul of silverware

Kelso High School 2nd XI, winners of the South Schools 2nd XI tournament
Kelso High School 2nd XI, winners of the South Schools 2nd XI tournament

The end of the 2014-15 hockey season has once again brought a number of tournament wins for Kelso High School.

The first of these was the South Schools Knock-out Cup, which all nine secondary schools in the Borders entered, making for a very good competition.

Following some highly-competitive matches, Kelso met up with Galashiels Academy in the final and, although the Academy outfit battled hard, they were unable to contain the Tweedsiders, in particular their captain, Jennie Robson, who made several good runs up the pitch. With three goals in each half, Kelso won the match 6-0 and once again retained the silverware.

Kelso also won the South Schools 2nd XI tournament with a clean sweep of wins over hosts Earlston HS (1-0), Peebles HS (2-0) and, finally, last year’s winners, Berwickshire HS (1-0). Leona Porteous (3) and Katie Fairgrieve were the Kelso goal scorers.

The South Schools S3 Cup, which was run in two leagues, saw seven schools entered. Hawick HS emerged as winners in the first group with Kelso coming top of the other to set up a very tight and tense final in which neither side seemed able to break down the other’s defence. At last, with less than five minutes left, Kelso’s left striker, Lucy Murray, broke through on a ball in the centre and with a cracking strike, left the Hawick goalkeeper with no chance to score the only goal of the game.

Kelso then continued their winning ways in the S3 tournament, where they topped their section with wins over Selkirk (3-0), Berwickshire (4-0) and a 1-1 draw with Earlston. Their goals came from Rachel Burgher, Lucy Murray and an amazing six from captain Aimee Martin.

Selkirk were runners-up in this group with two wins over the other two schools.

In the other section, Galashiels Academy emerged victors, with Peebles runner-up. After two entertaining semi-finals, Kelso and Selkirk went head-to-head for the honours and with goals from both Lucy Murray and Aimee Martin, the Tweedside girls took the trophy for the third year in a row.