Decision yet to be taken on One For Arthur’s racing future
It’s still to be decided if One For Arthur will compete after all in this year’s Randox Health Grand National – and possibly if he will race again – after the Borders-owned racehorse endured a heart scare.
The 2017 Grand National winner, who’d been expected to line up again for the world’s greatest steeplechase at Aintree on April 4, suffered a fibrillating heart on Saturday during a National trial race at Haydock.
The irregular heartbeat condition is very common among horses during training or racing and, thankfully, One For Arthur had recovered within a matter of hours – which is also common.
Co-owner Belinda McClung, of Ancrum, said the 11-year-old was in good health and in very good care.
She and her fellow owner, Deborah Thomson, of Cessford, had been in consultation with trainer Lucinda Russell and expert vets, who had said there was a 99 per cent chance it had been a “one-off”.
Belinda admitted the ladies were surprised the horse had run so badly at Haydock but were relieved to find out there had been a reason for it.
They were confident One For Arthur was well again but Belinda stressed they would not subject him to any risk, adding: “We just want the best for the horse.”