Aggressive bowling is key to Souters’ win over leaders

Selkirk CC's bowler Greg Fenton troubles a Drummond Trinity batsman, watched by wicket keeper John Graham (pciture by Grant Kinghorn)
Selkirk CC's bowler Greg Fenton troubles a Drummond Trinity batsman, watched by wicket keeper John Graham (pciture by Grant Kinghorn)

Selkirk hosted table-toppers Drummond Trinity on Saturday in an event where just four points would guarantee safety in ESCA Division 3.

However, as reflected in the attitude of this side all season long, they would not be content with just gaining those four points. Victory was the only aim.

Bowling first, the Selkirk outfit contained the opposition batsmen and limited them to a total score of just 89. This would be chased down in just 35 overs and give the watching Philiphaugh crowd something to cheer.

Captain Rory Banks was pleased when the toss resulted in his side taking to the field first, allowing opening bowlers Kenny Paterson and Jordan Reid to set the tone for the day.

Bowling a tight line with fielders working hard to limit the scoring, the Drummond Trinity innings was suffocating under a blanket of slow run rate. After 9 overs, the score sat at 15 for 2, with the wickets of Nasir and Kumar having fallen.

The former skyied one off the top edge, caught by Banks from Paterson’s bowling, and the latter also edged behind, caught at slip by Stuart Skeldon against the bowling of Jordan Reid.

Nagi was the next batsman to go when caught behind off of Greg Fenton’s rising delivery for four, before McCallum was sent back to the pavilion by Ian Gardiner’s well-held catch, giving Banks a wicket of his own.

Kumar then found himself also on his way when Jordan Reid sent his stumps flying with a pinpoint throw in the field.

Awan came and went for four, caught and bowled by Banks, before another top drawer piece of fielding, this time from Kenny Paterson, saw top scorer Khan run out for 20.

Jordan Reid returned to the attack to dismiss Davidson; another stunning catch came from Greg Fenton for this wicket. Blaine Gillie came on to pick up the wicket of R. Awan, before he caught Kwagi’s skied shot against Jordan Reid to leave the visitors all out for 89.

Greg Fenton and John Graham once again opened the batting for Selkirk, settling themselves down nicely, until Graham was bowled in the sixth over with the score just 8-1.

The returning Stuart Skeldon came in at three to join Fenton and played exactly the role he needed to – seeing off the good bowling and scoring the easy runs when they came. Skeldon would eventually be given out LBW for 12 to the bowling of Kumar. Skipper Rory Banks entered the fray in the 19th over with his side 39-2 and 51 required for victory from 122 balls.

Greg Fenton raced along to 26 before he was dismissed by a brilliant catch from M. Awan. Jordan Reid scored a quick six before an upward shot went straight down the throat of mid-off to send him on his way. Kenny Paterson joined Banks at the crease and the pair took Selkirk to 85 before yet another incredible, this time one-handed, catch dismissed him for 18. Ian Gardiner took his guard and appeared free from nerves as he finished the game off with a blistering cover drive for three runs, finishing three not out, with Paterson the same for a score of five. The tally of 91-5 after 35 overs meant a splendid victory by five wickets for a deserving Selkirk side.

A couple of great individual performances were vital to the Selkirk win. Greg Fenton produced once again with the bat and Rory Banks took important wickets also.

Jordan Reid, however, impressed the most. Bowling with energy and working hard all through the innings, to finish with figures of 6.2-3-3-6, he was named man of the match.