Watters’ dream move to saloons ends up the wrong way round

THE holiday meeting at the Cowdenbeath Racewall was held on a cold but dry Saturday evening and those present saw some entertaining racing, writes Jim Turner.

Ross Watters, freshly out of the ministox, led the opening 1300cc saloon race, but ended up rolling his car after clipping the kerb. The van banger field was dominated by vans from Team Carnage, only for Jason Seckar to outsmart them in the heats and then the demolition derby.

The minis were racing for the CHAS Shield with Gemma Russell just fending off Liam Rennie to win heat one.

This duo caught long-time leader Dale Buchan in heat two, but as they squabbled for the lead, Buchan nipped through to win with Rennie pipping Russell to the line by a whisker and Craig Murray (Selkirk) taking ninth place.

The final saw Buchan go into the lead early on before going through to win comfortably from Rennie and Zak Gilmour to lift the shield with Murray in seventh place.

The prostox were having their annual team race with five teams involved. Whilst the sides raced in graded order the points were to be tallied at the end of the final to find the winning team.

The local driver in action was Richard Murray (Selkirk), but he failed to finish in the points.

The opening heat ended with Tam Melrose winning from John Green and Kevin Letford. Green just caught team-mate Ricky White during the closing stages to win with Melrose in third.

There was quite a bit of action in the final with Lee Wilson crashing out then Green went out with three other drivers on the pit bend.

In the end Melrose came through to win from Craig Jones and White.

When the points were totaled it was the team of Green, White, John Bremner and B.J. Mitchell who were the winners.

The first outing of 1300cc saloons for many a long time saw 12 cars appear and after Watters had rolled his car Ian Robertson went through to win heat one.

Gordon Alexander then went on to win heat two and whilst Willie Hill was first home in the final it was Barry Russell who was declared the victor from Lee Buchan and Jimmy McAlpine.