Teries shrug off bad start to take memorial trophy

Selkirks Kenny Paterson presents the Ronnie Simpson memorial trophy to Hawicks Pierce Solley.
Selkirks Kenny Paterson presents the Ronnie Simpson memorial trophy to Hawicks Pierce Solley.
Share this article

Hawick defeated Selkirk on Sunday to win the Ronnie Simpson Memorial Trophy in what was an outstanding team effort in a match played in great spirits, in memory of a wonderful man.

Playing at Philiphaugh, visiting skipper Pierce Solley won the toss and chose to bat, but the Teries got off to the worst possible start after James Boyle was bowled by Jordan Reid.

The score then became four for two when Ronan Alexander dragged one onto the wicket off the bowling of Rory Banks, who bowled an excellent eight-over spell in which he conceded only 10 runs. Hawick youngsters Morgan Tait and Gareth Welsh relieved the pressure and took the scoreboard to 22 before the latter was caught off the bowling of Alexander Beveridge for seven.

Gary Alexander joined Tait at the crease and they built a 46-run partnership, during which they punished the poor balls bowled by the Souters until Alexander was dismissed for 28. When Tait was given out lbw off the bowling of John Graham for a well-played 18, a mini collapse ensued for the visitors as they lost the momentum.

Solley (5) was caught by Harry Murphy off the bowling of Kyle Easson, before the latter had Kyle Douglas bowled to leave the visitors on 80 for seven. Evan Alexander made one before he was bowled by Graham to put the home side in control with Hawick on 80 for eight. However Allan Moffat and Ryan Johnston steadied the ship, with the former hitting four boundaries on his way to 26 before being given out lbw for 26 in a vital 35-run partnership.

Michael Boyle (19) clattered his first ball for four, which was applauded by his team-mates, to which he raised the bat for his first senior boundary.

He and Johnston put together an entertaining last wicket stand of 34 as Hawick made 149 all out.

Selkirk made a cautious start in reply and opening bowler Tait had Neil Gentleman caught behind by Moffat.

The home side’s top order had a mini collapse where Harry Murphy and Ormonde Fyfe were dismissed by a run-out before Johnston took his first wicket of the match to put the visitors on the front foot. Grant Kinghorn joined Graham at the crease and started the rebuilding task as they took the score past 30 before Kinghorn was caught behind for 11 off the bowling of R. Alexander.

Rory Banks made eight before Tait took the catch as Alexander picked up his second scalp of the day to put Hawick firmly in control.

Graham was given out lbw for 33, an innings which included two fours, while Darren Brown was bowled by G. Alexander for six.

Jordan Reid began to bring Selkirk back into the match before going lbw by Johnston for 15. Welsh caught Alex Beveridge for one before skipper Solley rounded the game off with the last wicket to give the Teries a well earned 45-run victory, 20 Border Sunday League points and the Ronnie Simpson Memorial Trophy.