Stock car season begins with a bang

Earlston's Paul Ford in his Formula One car
Earlston's Paul Ford in his Formula One car

THE stock car season got underway at the Cowdenbeath Racewall on a dry but cold and windy evening but thankfully the rain stayed away.

There was some entertaining racing with some close and exciting dicing in the stock rod and saloon finals whilst there was a stoppage during the formula II final when Gordon Moodie and Bobby Griffin tangled.

The 2 litre hot rods were having their first outing at the Racewall but there a few shunts and spins which thinned the field. The cars of Kerr Paterson, Billy Bonnar, Willie Hill and Tam Linden all received damage in the shunts and had to be removed from the track by the Manitou which ended up with a punctured front tyre.

Paul Ford (Earlston) had his formula I car at the track and put in a few very fast laps as he set his car up for the Scottish formula I weekend whilst there was a couple of the micro FII drivers charging around the track.

Bobby Griffin and John Broatch were welcome visitors from south of the border in the formula IIs whilst Liam Rennie, Garry Sime, Robbie Dawson, Dennis Middler and Holly Glen all had new chassis whilst Alan Edmiston, Kenny Mitchell and John Hogg had new to them chassis.

The local driver in action was John Hogg (Berwick) who had the ex Jack Brown RCE

The opening had a confusing finish with three cars getting involved in a shunt on the top bend which then created havoc to the lead cars. Gordon Moodie who was leading went one way, Griffin the other with the latter first across the line. However it was found that he had sustained damage as he scraped through the shunt and was disqualified with the win going to Broatch with Jason McDonald second and Moodie third. Heat two was slightly quieter with Moodie going through to win from Griffin and Chris Burgoyne.

Middler and Rennie tangled on the top bend suspending the race with Gregor Turner leading on the restart and soon opening up a useful lead. However that disappeared when the race was suspended after Griffin and Moodie tangled entering the main straight. Although Turner led on the restart he was moved over as a train of star drivers moved ahead. Burgoyne eased away to win the opening final from Marc Fortune and Dawson with Hogg eighth in what was his only finish of the night.

Turner led the Grand National from start to finish but at the chequer Moodie was catching him hand over fist with Dawson third and Burgoyne in sixth place.

This Saturday the formula IIs and saloons return and they will be joined by the lightning rods and prostox with the usual 6.00pm start.