Selkirk top cricket league despite below par performance

Alex Massie has a lucky escape when the Accies keeper drops an easy catch
Alex Massie has a lucky escape when the Accies keeper drops an easy catch

SELKIRK cruised to an emphatic 148 run victory over an outclassed and under strength Edinburgh Accies side at Philiphaugh on Saturday.

The visitors won the toss but that was to prove their last substantial moment of supremacy.

Indeed, Selkirk’s openers got off to a fast start, cruising along at five runs an over for the first hour of play. Though the pitch was green and still prone to uneven bounce, conditions for cricket could scarcely have been finer. Philiphaugh was swaddled in sunshine and all seemed right with the world as the home side cantered past 100 for the first wicket.

Captain John Everitt had enjoyed one let off but, in general, he and Greg Fenton were in complete control. Fenton, in particular, proved severe on anything over-pitched or drifting towards his leg-stump. A number of elegant flicks off his pads were a feature of his innings.

At 111/0 when drinks were taken Selkirk were well-placed to compile an intimidating total. Provided, that is, they kept their wits about them. They did not. Fenton slapped the first ball after the resumption of play - a full toss no less - straight to midwicket to be dismissed for a fine 44 that could, and perhaps should, have been much more.

Though Darren Fenton rattled along to a brisk 28 he too succumbed to a moment of rashness when well placed to make a significant score. Everitt, meanwhile, played a tired drive and was caught and bowled by Ramsay for 60.

Though the tail wagged moderately, Selkirk needed the assistance of Extras - who made 45 - to pass 200 and though a total of 212 always looked as though it would prove sufficient the home side knew they should really have reached at least 250.

Ten wickets fell for 101 runs which, while not as calamitous as previous horrifying collapses, was still a poor return on such a promising and substantial start.

Nevertheless, it soon became clear that the Edinburgh Accies were in no fit shape to threaten Selkirk’s total. If neither Paterson nor Reid enjoyed much luck with the new ballot they at least had the consolation of producing miserly spells that left the visitors a long way behind the required run rate.

Though Paterson made the first breakthrough, it was Darren Fenton whose wickets proved crucial. His three scalps ensuring that Selkirk’s victory was all but inevitable. And as Accies’ scratched around it became clear that Selkirk only needed to muster some quantity of patience in the pursuit of the final wickets that would seal victory. Greg Fenton claimed another three wickets while Reid chipped in with one before Rory Banks took the final wicket with the fourth ball of his first over. Accies were all out for 64.

Since Dunfermline Carnegie were defeated by Peebles County, Selkirk have replaced the Fifers at the top of Division Five of the East of Scotland league, adding extra spice to next week’s confrontation between the top two as the Borderers cross the Forth and venture into Fife.