Selkirk make impressive recovery from heavy loss

Selkirk celebrate the removal of another Boroughmuir batsman (picture by Grant Kinghorn)
Selkirk celebrate the removal of another Boroughmuir batsman (picture by Grant Kinghorn)

Following a crushing defeat at rain-soaked Carlton in their previous outing, Selkirk were eager to get back to winning ways on home turf.

Playing host to Boroughmuir, the home outfit were buoyed by the return of leading run scorer Greg Fenton, who would go on to make his presence known.

Selkirk captain Rory Banks won the toss once again and chose to put the visitors in to bat under the lunchtime clouds.

Openers Beard and Eaves had the worst possible start when the former was out for nought, thanks to a stunning, diving catch at slip by Stuart Skeldon from the bowling of Kenny Paterson.

The early wicket brought Butt to the crease but he was removed shortly afterwards, mistiming a pull to be caught at square leg by Harry Murphy, again from Paterson’s bowling.

Hussain came and went for five when run out thanks to great fielding by Blaine Gillie, before Jordan Reid grabbed himself a wicket by bowling Gazzala for a duck.

Paterson took his third when he had Eaves caught well by Kyle Easson to reduce the visitors to 26-5.

Reid took the wickets of Singh and Siddegowda both for nought, the earlier well grabbed by Paterson at slip before the later saw his stumps spiralling.

Paterson’s spell came to an end, with fantastic figures of 3-3 from 8 overs including six maidens deserving a mention.

Replacing Paterson was the returning Greg Fenton, who trapped Mehmood LBW for 7, and soon after Bhavsar the same way for 4.

David Gardiner finished off a good innings for the home side as Maclean was Caught and Bowled for 0. This left the visitors all out for just 42 in 21.2 overs However, the Souters knew they still had a game on their hands.

Openers Greg Fenton and John Graham made a good start and reached 36 for no loss in the first 12 overs but, when Graham fell to Mehmood for 11, it meant Michael Fenton joined his brother in the middle.

Seven was the number of runs required and, despite some tight bowling from the visitors, Greg hit the winning run in the 16th over.

Victory by nine wickets was much deserved for the Philiphaugh side, who were very pleased to see Greg Fenton return with 28 not out. Brother Michael was also not out with a total of two.

Sharing the man of the match award were Kenny Paterson and Greg Fenton.

Paterson took excellent figures – three wickets under his belt while conceding just three runs in an eight-over spell.

Fenton was top scorer once more for his side, 28 not out, taking his tally for the season to 77 in three innings.