Hockey: Inverleith 1-0 Reivers Men


Picturesque, welcoming and worth visiting, all words that have never been used to describe Newfield, the home of Inverleith.

Reivers men arrived once again with a team rather than a squad, with many players seemingly unwilling to test their skills in a proper league rather than just training.

There were just two changes from the previous week with Andy Maclean and Jonathan Fletcher coming in for Gareth Roberts and Baird McIlwraith.

The game started with Inverleith attacking at pace, firing a warning shot across the visitors goal inside the first minute. Before Reivers had got up to speed Inverleith won their first short corner, this swiftly followed a harsh looking green card (his second in as many weeks) for captain Graham Lofthouse for questioning the decision of the home umpire.

The visitors dug in while shorthanded and started to move the ball better when restored to full strength. Jordan Sharp once again anchoring the midfield well, giving security to the back four. Good work from Paul Goldie saw a good chance fall to Fletcher whose powerful strike was well saved by the diving goalkeeper. The next chance fell to Scott Girvan, finding himself free at the back post only to miss the target entirely when looking set to score. The home team’s best chance looked to be from short corner, however they only managed one shot on target throughout the half.

The teams turned without troubling the score board.

The second half started like two bald men fighting over a comb, both teams wanted the ball but had no idea what to do with it once they got it.

Reivers created several opportunities from short corners, but with a routine as slick as a hedgehog carpet there was no danger to the home goal.

The “highlight” of the second half was an incident involving defender Mark Brebner. With an Inverleith striker breaking towards the circle, Brebner had a rush of blood to the head, in a challenge which was more UFC than SHU the forward was taken down unceremoniously. To the surprise of no-one a yellow card was produced and Brebner left to contemplate his life’s direction. The chance however came to nothing.

This shorthanded time took a lot out of the Reivers and the team started to look weary. Scott Girvan in particular running like he was carrying a bag of tatties on his back.

The winning goal came just 5 minutes from the end, a straight ball split the Reivers defence and a powerful shot flew into the net past the badly positioned keeper.

From then on Inverleith closed the game down well, making use of all 33 substitutes they had brought along for the match. Reivers huffed and puffed but could not find a way through.

A hard loss to take after having given so much to the game, Reivers Captain Graham Lofthouse was not too dispirited “Again we have competed well and just come out on the wrong side of this one. We’ve had a paradigm shift in the way we want to play the game and it is starting to bear fruit, hopefully we will get back on the horse next week and if we lead it to water it might just drink.”

Reivers: Young, Maclean, Scott, Brebner, Dawson, Girvan, Lofthouse, Sharp, Fletcher, Goldie, Murray.

Next up is another tricky away tie vs Watsonians on Sat 26th.