Hockey: Fjordhus firsts at the double

Rhona Gowans with Selkirk international star Sarah Robertson
Rhona Gowans with Selkirk international star Sarah Robertson



Fjordhus Reivers come away with an important win at Golden Acre on Saturday afternoon to relaunch their fightback in the National Ladies Division Two league.

Determination and composure on the ball allowed the Borders team to keep the majority of possession creating many goal scoring opportunities.

A well-deserved short corner allowed Rhona Gowan’s to put the ball in the net giving the team a 1-0 lead as the minutes counted down to half time. The defence kept the Reivers leading with many excellent saves from Isla McInnes. However seconds before the half-time whistle a Heriots player broke down the pitch to score leaving it 1-1 at the break.

After the half-time team talk from coach Janet Jack the Reivers came back strong making every decision count. Some excellent runs from Laura McLean allowed the team to get into the circle putting Heriots under pressure and, after several attempts at goal, it was Mclean who made the vital strike, a result they held onto for an impressive victory.



A second win in as many days was no more than Fjordhus Reivers deserved after an excellent squad performance at Tweedbank on Sunday.

Determined to keep up the good start to the second half the season the home team took to the pitch with good intentions.

Stirling had a good early chance to take the lead but keeper Isla McInnes pulled off her first important save of the day. Thereafter, it was Reivers who began to take control. Some lively attacks and an impressive work rate made it difficult for the visitors to exit their half and it wasn’t long before this pressure paid off. A well-worked short corner enabled Denise Fairbairn to deflect Rhona Gowans strong sweep across goal past the Stirling University keeper.

Fjordhus really should have added to their tally before the break but a mixture of good saves and missed chances kept the score 1-0 at half time.

The home side almost paid for not being further in front as Stirling pressed hard for an equalizer and spectators watched nervously as the visitors earned a penalty corner just before the whistle. A strong save from McInnes ended the match and ensured a deserved home win.