Loss signals Division Threerugby for unlucky Langholm


Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 2:37 pm
Updated Wednesday, 13th April 2016, 2:39 pm

It was a much-changed Langholm team which took to the field in the penultimate league match of the season, away to third-placed Edinburgh Northern.

The defeat means Langholm are faced with playing in East Division Three next season.

It has been a difficult season throughout, with a small pool of players, and the club has done well to fulfil its matches, but never had a settled side.

Once again, Langholm were up against a much bulkier pack but, territorially, there was little to choose between the sides in the first quarter.

Northern went ahead in 25 minutes when the ball was spread wide from lineout possession won by Holland, and centre Lethem went in under the posts, with the successful conversion by Spills making it 7-0.

Langholm defended well against a period of sustained pressure and, at one stage, it looked like the home side were over, but were held up on the line.

Langholm had a period of attacks but Northern were soon back threatening the line and the Milntown men did well to prevent a try. Spills kicked a penalty for Northern to make it 10-0 at half time.

Just after the restart, the home side increased the lead when Bryans went over for a fine try after a neat kick through by Wilman, but the conversion was missed and it was now 15-0.

Langholm set up a number of attacks but the home defence stood firm.

A break by Aaron for the Edinburgh side resulted in a try by Harper under the posts, which was converted by Wilman to put them 22-0 ahead.

Although the match was beyond them, Langholm never gave up and Gregor Masteron secured a try, which Niall Cubbon converted.

Elswehere, Hawick Quins got their game rearranged to a Wednesday night under the lights at Mansfield Park and took on top of the league Border rivals St Boswells.

The Baker Street men nicked an early lead and later kept in touch through the boot of Scott Peffers, while St Boswells scored a controversial try, and then another after some solid defending by Quins, to take a 12-6 lead into the break.

Quins started well in the second half and made a few good breaks towards the Boswells line but just came up short. They continued to play well but St Boswells then marched on towards the bonus point witha 24-6 victory.

Meanwhile, after recent promising performances, Hawick Linden fell to a 43-10 defeat against Linlithgow.

The damage was done in the first half, as too many basic errors contributed to some soft tries being conceded.

Linden’s Greg Baillie scored a 15th minute penalty but the Mains Park team were 29-3 ahead at the interval.

A Royal Blues try finally arrived from a superb run by Connor Tofts. Just as he looked set to score, he was denied by a high tackle and the referee immediately headed for the posts to signal a penalty try, but a score likely to be claimed deservedly by Tofts.

Baillie popped over the extras to make it 29-10, before a couple of late converted tries for Linlithgow.