No decision made yet to call off Open Championship

The St Andrews based R&A, organiser of the Open Championship, says it is still considering its options for this year’s tournament.

Martin Slumbers, chief executive of the R&A (picture courtesy of the R&A)
Martin Slumbers, chief executive of the R&A (picture courtesy of the R&A)

There had been media speculation that a decision had already been made to call off this year’s tournament because of coronavirus.

But the chief executive of the organisation says this is not the case yet – although it remains a possibility.

Royal St George’s in Kent is due to host The 149th Open from July 12-19.

Martin Slumbers, chief executive of The R&A, said: “We are continuing to work through our options for The Open this year, including postponement.

“Due to a range of external factors, that process is taking some time to resolve.

“We are well aware of the importance of being able to give clear guidance to fans, players and everyone involved and are working to resolve this as soon as we can.

“We will give a further update as soon as we are in a position to do so and thank everyone for their support and understanding in this challenging situation.”