Waverley to the four in cup match

Hawick Waverley 4

Chirnside 2


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Wilton Lodge Park

DESPITE playing most of the game with only 10 men due to the first-half red-carding of goalkeeper Michael White, Hawick Waverley booked their spot in the third round of the Beveridge Cup.

Following a quiet opening spell that conjured up few scoring chances or exciting play, White’s dismissal arrived with 17 minutes gone. Racing out of the penalty box in a bid to halt a sweeping Chirnside raid, the Waverley number one hacked down the advancing Robert Armstrong who had burst through on his own. White was given his marching orders by referee Alex Laidlaw, with outfield player Scott Craig taking over between the posts.

This was a big blow for the Teries, but within nine minutes they took the lead with a fine goal.

After latching onto a Taylor Hope pass, Barry Shiel raced in and fired a shot out of the reach of Chirnside keeper Sufi Omari. Minutes later, Waverley stand-in keeper Craig denied the visitors an equaliser, saving well from Adam Turner.

Omari then showed his mettle at the other end in keeping out an effort from Shiel, who had been set up by Hope.

With two minutes of the first half remaining, Chirnside equalised. Showing a good touch of pace after latching onto a through-ball from Graham Kelly, Armstrong raced forward to slot a shot out of the reach of the helpless Craig.

After Armstrong almost claimed a second in the opening attack of the second half, Waverley edged ahead again in the 51st minute. Shiel swung a cross over from the right, which Jordan Yardley sprayed to the feet of Hope and the young midfielder produced a spot-on finish.

In Waverley’s next raid, Hope was robbed of another strike by the woodwork.

Hawick kept their foot on the gas and Simon Philbin put Chirnside into further arrears by firing home after having pierced the visitors’ defence with a thrusting run. Chirnside replied with a spell of pressure and after Jack Windram had came near to reducing the leeway with a header, Craig thwarted Paul Cowe with a finger-tip save.

A goal eventually did arrive, but it was Waverley who did the scoring with their fourth of the game in the 70th minute.

Yardley did the business, slotting away a Shiel cross. Chirnside hit back to score again through Armstrong, but the Teries had victory in their sights and held on to take the honours.

Giving his thoughts on his side’s triumph, deputy goalkeeper Scott Craig told TheSouthern: “It wasn’t the greatest of starts for us in having a man sent off so early.

“I didn’t mind going in goal as I have played there before and it was just something that had to be done.

“Considering we had 10 men for such a long time I thought we played really well and it was a great win for us.”

Hawick Waverley: M. White, M. Clark, S. Marshall, S. Craig, G. Falcone, R. McLeod, T. Hope, S. Sharkey, S. Philbin (A. King), B. Shiel (C. Ferguson) and J. Yardley.