Waverley spares Hawick’s blushes in poor weekend for amateur Teries

Hawick Waverley 4

Newtown 1


JOHN SLORANCE reports from Wilton Lodge Park

Two goals from midfielder Scott Craig – and two own goals – guided Waverley to victory.

Bidding to maintain their place in the top four of Division A, the Teries were first to look like scoring when Scott Craig hit an effort against the upright on meeting a Daniel Chandler cross.

Newtown keeper Gareth Weatherstone denied the homesters an opener with a fine one-handed save, tipping a Barry Shiel shot over the bar.

After Weatherstone had put up the shutters again, keeping out a well-struck Taylor Hope drive, Daniel Purves went close to netting for Newtown with an angled drive following a good move down the right flank.

Towards the interval Jamie Richardson appeared to have put Waverley aheadm, tucking away a loose ball after Weatherstone had fumbled a Ross Wallace free kick, but was judged to be offside by referee David O’Donnell.

With four minutes of the second period gone, the deadlock was eventually broken.

Finding space down the right, Dean McColm whipped a low cross over the face of the goalmouth and Craig popped up at the back of the net.

Two minutes later, Waverley increased their lead when Newtown’s Nick Knuth turned the ball into his own net when attempting to clear a Shiel cross.

Newtown came rallying back and within three minutes reduced the leeway through Alan Cairney, whose spot-on finish from a Neil McIvor cross was beyond the reach of keeper Euan Reilly.

In the 70th minute Waverley added to their tally courtesy of a Paul Scott own goal.

Then, at the other end, McIvor was just off target during a spell of pressure from the visitors.

With six minutes to go, Waverley sealed victory. Craig produced the scoring touch, driving a McColm cross out of reach of the helpless Weatherstone for his 10th goal in eight games.

Tweedmouth Amateurs 8

Hawick United 0


TWEEDMOUTH took the lead in the first minute and from there on ruled the game.

Playing some good flowing football, they added two more goals before the break, while United went close to scoring when Kevin Strathdee fired a shot against the upright.

In the second half, Tweedmouth completely dominated matters and rattled home five goals without reply.

United had Luke Shanley red-carded and Tweedmouth also had a man sent off.

Hawick Legion Rovers 1

Tweedmouth Am Colts 9


The scoreline tells it all.

Rovers were simply never in the hunt and Tweedmouth coasted to an easy victory.

Tweedmouth netted the first two goals, with Mark Philbin then raising Rovers hopes by scoring with a free kick.

Apart from John Shankie almost narrowing the gap with a good effort, Rovers never looked like adding to their tally.

It was simply all Tweedmouth and the visitors scored seven more times.