Waverley on track for league title

Action from Hawick Waverley v Gala Fairydean Rovers
Action from Hawick Waverley v Gala Fairydean Rovers

Hawick Waverley 4 Gala FDR 0


Waverley needed full points to be amongst the league title contenders and they got them through a positive, purposeful show at a windswept Wilton Lodge Park on Saturday.

With a great deal to play for, Waverley were doing the bulk of the attacking on the heavy surface and Gala were on the back foot.

Gala however, were dangerous on the break and the direct running James Scott almost opened the scoring when firing a Ryan Grant pass wide of the target.

In the 23rd minute Waverley broke the deadlock. A Cooper corner kick was cleared and the ball bounced back to the feet of Cooper. From a spot wide on the right, the Waverley striker floated a cross high into a crowded goalmouth and Neal McConnell did the rest in beating Murray with a perfectly placed header.

Before Gala could settle, the home side struck again two minutes later.

Following a Craig McCutcheon cross, Hope hit in a shot that the sprawling Murray blocked.

Cooper was on the spot though to rattle in the rebound.

Gala heads did not drop however, and on being fed by a Grant cut back, Hossack had a shot well saved by Waverley keeper Steven Walker.

Minutes later Walker put up the shutters again in saving once more from Hossack.

With 50 minutes gone, Gala fell into further arrears.

Substitute Ryan Shepherd, who had replaced the injured Neal McConnell at the interval, sparked off a well worked move with Hope, which ended in Craig hitting over a low cross which was walloped home by Cooper.

After Peter Gellaitry had fluffed an opportunity to put Waverley further in front, Scott had the ball in the net for Gala but Berwick referee, Andrew Rooney chalked a goal off for offside.

Two minutes past the hour mark Waverley notched a fourth.

Hope hit a free kick into the goal area with pin point accuracy and Gellaitry headed home.

Gala continued to battle but found it was just not their day when Grant volleyed a Scott lay off past Walker.

However, much to Grant’s dismay the whistle had been blown for offside.

In the closing stages Waverley substitute Mark Deans thundered a shot against the upright after having weaved his way in from the flank.

Expressing his thoughts on the game, Waverley defender Jamie Richardson told TheSouthern: “We went off the boil for a while in the second half but I thought we played very well in the first half.

“Overall it was a good performance as we got the three points we were after and did it without losing a goal, which is always a good thing to achieve. It’s always nice to beat a Gala side, especially by four goals.”

Gala’s Colin Riddle commented: “We just couldn’t break the Waverley down, although we struggled against them we battled hard though.”