Waverley head for second round

Balgonie Scotia 0

Hawick Waverley 2


TWO first-half goals earned Waverley a deserved second-round spot.

Barry Shiel put Waverley ahead with a first-time shot from a Scott Craig corner kick.

Waverley then added to their tally when Ross McLeod placed the ball into the net from another corner.

In the second half, the home side came more into the game, but Waverley defended well and threatened on the counter-attack to gain a good win.

Hawick Legion 2

Chirnside 1


LEGION gained their first win of the season in a game that produced an explosive finish.

Following a non-scoring first half, Legion took the lead in the second with a gem of a goal. Jory Robertson emerged the marksman with a glorious left-foot drive after having waltzed his way out of two challenges.

Chirnside then had a golden chance to get on level terms after being awarded a penalty when Jamie Nisbet brought down an attacker.

There was to be no joy for the Berwickshire men, though, as their spot-kick was brilliantly saved by Legion keeper Ally Willison.

In injury time, however, Chirnside did get an equaliser, scoring with a penalty.

A draw now looked on the cards, but a minute later Legion grabbed a dramatic winner. After having pierced the Chirnside defence with a great run, Thomas Scott was brought down in the box. Another penalty was awarded, which was tucked away by Stuart Hogg.

Hawick United 2

Ancrum 6


High-flying Ancrum maintained their top-of-the-table spot with a creditable win.

Playing good football throughout, they came close to scoring in the opening minutes when hitting the bar with a free kick.

The visitors kept their foot on the gas and duly scored three times during the first half, the first coming off a United player.

In the second half, however, United pulled a goal back when Kevin Strathdee slotted away a penalty.

Minutes later, Strathdee struck again after being set up by a pass from his brother David.

Ancrum, however, wiped out any thoughts of a United comeback by hitting home three goals.

Grant Robinson scored a hat-trick for the visitors, while Ross Johnston and Greg McGovern were also on target.

Winton 7

Hawick Legion Rovers 2


WINTON set the pace from the start and were denied a goal in the opening exchanges when keeper Kerr Brown pulled off a superb save, tipping a net-bound shot round the post.

The home side, however, took the lead following the resulting corner kick and notched a second shortly afterwards.

Rovers came rallying back and John Shankie reduced the leeway, finding the net with an angled drive, after having latched on to a long ball from Graeme Marshall.

Winton restored their two-goal lead before the interval and in the second half rattled home four more counters.

Rovers, however, had the last say when Chay Caldwell polished off a slick passing move involving Ryan Law, Shankie and Marshall in beating the Winton keeper with a perfectly-struck chipped shot.

Gala Athletic 0

Gala Hotspur 7


SIX goals in the second half meant Gala Hotspur secured a derby victory over a stuffy Gala Athletic side at Tweedbank.

The visitors opened the scoring on 10 minutes through Callum Gass from a Scott Nightingale long throw.

Athletic missed some good chances before half-time and probably deserved to go in level at the break.

However, Spurs ran away with the second period, and added a second just 60 seconds in when Stuart Harkness scored.

On 48 minutes, Nightingale made it three, thanks to a great pass from Harkness.

Nightingale turned provider for the fourth goal with a cross which Gary Cleghorn headed home, before Luke Gierus curled home a shot from 18yds.

Nightingale tapped home a sixth and the striker completed his hat-trick with a neat finish from a Gass cross.